Add comments to wireframe controls

Is there a way to add comments/notes to specific controls? (similar to Google drive comments). Currently, it only seems comments/notes can be to the entire wireframe and cannot be control specific. Thank you.

Hey @tonycamarata!

While there isn’t a note field built into the controls themselves, you can use the markup notes to add notes to your controls.

You can also set internal notes on controls by right-clicking on them and selecting Custom Control Properties.

Those notes won’t be visible on the control, but they will show up in any exported JSON or XML.

Let me know if that helps, Tony. :slight_smile:

Now that Balsamiq is adding the comments feature to specific comment elements it would be so much nicer if it would be available for all elements. I had posted something similar a couple of years ago. Recently I just had to move away from from using Balsamiq because I didn’t want to have to recreate everything in another environment just so I could add notes to the elements. I have used the techniques you suggest above, but they just aren’t adequate.

Ideally there would be a little comment symbol showing which elements had comments. This could be turned on and off ala MS Excel comments.

I don’t know how difficult this is on your end, but I suspect that applications would appear out of the woodwork if you offered this feature. I love the simplicity of designing in Balsamiq, but the lack of ability to provide detailed comments on elements is a huge constraint.

Hey again, @webb9447!

Have you gotten a chance to check out our new Balsamiq Cloud beta? If not, shoot me an email, and I’ll get you invited. I’m curious as to what you think of the comment/callout feature there. It won’t help with exporting, but maybe it’s a matter of building on top of that, rather than a completely separate feature.

Let me know what you think!

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the link. I tried the comments feature. Unless I am missing something, for me it doesn’t really work.

1. I can’t display all the comments on the page, so I have to use the rollover in the comments section to figure out if there is a comment on any particular control.

2. The comment designators are large, so if they all displayed they would be a bit cluttery.

3. I use the desktop version and have the ability to add comments under custom properties. It is a pain, but I can do it. The new cloud version doesn’t seem to have that.

What would I want?

1. Add a comment directly to any control in the control inspector section when the control is selected.

2. If there is a comment on a control a small symbol would display if “display markup” is selected (e.g. small red triangle in the upper right similar to Excel)

3. Roll over the control and the comment would appear or, alternatively, the user would just be view/edit the comment in the control inspector screen.

The discussion (reply) stuff in the current comments is nice, but not as necessary.

I think I would use Balsamiq in all my design work if I had this feature. Without it, I have had to abandon Balsamiq recently because, oddly, it made the design process too slow.

Thanks again for getting me access to the trial.

Got it, @webb9447. I will get this added to the tracker. I cannot promise any type of discussion for a little bit, though, as we are very much in “ship allthethings” mode.

Afterwards, however, we will sit down and chat about it. :slight_smile: