Balsamiq Community Discussion

Adding icons inside a grid

Thanks for sharing the details @tanialawrie, that helps a lot. Adding support for icons in the Data Grid control might be the best approach here (since it will give access to the whole Font Awesome icon library) but we’ll definitely keep that idea in mind too.

Thanks again!

+1 from me on this feature

1 Like

+1 for this feature, I have to lay them out by hand a lot.

1 Like

+1 from me as well.

2 Likes

+1 from our team as well!

1 Like

+1 on being able to include icons directly in a data grid (or, in fact, any text fields)

It could be handled by supporting a text macro like the following - {icon:name:size} - which would then be replaced by the appropriate icon.

So, to include an Extra Small (16x16) “save” icon, you’d enter {icon:Floppy Outlined:XS} or to include a Large (48x48) “search” icon you’d enter {icon:Search:L}.

If you wanted to also support showing or not showing a border around an icon, you could extend the macro such that adding “:border” at the end would turn the border on (so {icon:Search:L:border} would, instead of showing a large search icon, it would show an icon consisting of a 48x48 border with a medium sized search icon inside it.

-Jenni

1 Like

+100 (worth a try) for adding icons to data grids

3 Likes

If the snap alignment worked with the individual rows or columns of the grid it would make the existing solution of grouping images or icons with the data grid elegant.

More control over the height of individual rows would be helpful too.

3 Likes

+1 Vote

2 Likes

+1 Vote

2 Likes

+1 vote for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for me :smile:

2 Likes

+1 for me

1 Like

+1 for me

1 Like

+1 for me

1 Like

I’m usually not complaining quickly but this thread is open for 5 years and nothing seems to have changed since. Is Balsamiq still under active development? Would be great to get some insight you’re at with this feature. Thanks.

Hi @robbash and sorry for the frustration.

We spent the last few years on a huge project: moving our apps to native platforms. We recently shipped our new Desktop product (Balsamiq Wireframes for Desktop) and we’re now working on prioritizing the new features we want to add to the tool.

That being said, some of those features need to wait a little more because they would mean having a project that is not compatible anymore with our older versions still available at the moment.

I’ll make sure to add your vote for this one and we’ll be here if you have any questions!

Thanks @Virgin for the feedback, appreciate it!

1 Like

Would be nice to have this with tags like [icon_id] etc… Please prio this request! thx

2 Likes

+1 from my side.

1 Like