Aligning Objects with Key Object?

Hey Folks,

New Mockups 3 user. Is there anyway to align controls to a key object?

Or is there some other rule to determine which object is used as key?

Eric.

Hi @Eric_Fernance,

Thanks for using our little tool! :smile:

Mockups 3 tries to suggest alignment relative to other objects on the canvas using smart guides.
Here is the relative information: http://support.balsamiq.com/customer/portal/articles/110078#snapping

About the key object, sorry but we don’t have this feature yet. I’ve added this request to our tracker so we can review and consider it for the future.

If others would like to see this feature, please let us know (or add your Like/Heart vote above) to help us prioritize this request.

Hi @Virgin thanks for your reply.

Yes I’ve seen the smart guides. It’s not really what I’m looking for. In illustrator for example when you select multiple objects and the click the align top or align left button you can nominate a key object. The key object remains stationary and other objects are all aligned to the key object.

Is that same functionality available in Mockups 3. I don’t appear to be able to nominate which control to align to when using the alignment buttons.

Eric.

Hi @Eric_Fernance,

Thanks for detailing your needs.

Sorry but we don’t have this functionality yet. I’ve added this feature request to our internal tracker.

Again if others would like to see this feature, please let us know (or add your Like/Heart vote above) to help us prioritize this request.

Thanks mate. I’ve really been enjoying mockups this would just make it even easier to get layouts spot on.

Eric.

Hi all !

In Inkscape, you have (too) many choices about which object is the key object while aligning multiple objects. But an easy solution is to use the first selected object as the key object.
For now, I don’t understand which one is used by default.

Hi @monsieurplus,

Thanks for reaching out about this. By default, Mockups will suggest smart guides relative to all controls on the canvas. You can disable it by using the CTRL/CMD key while moving or resizing a control.

I’m adding your vote for a key object feature. Please let us know if you need anything else, we’re here to help!

What do you think about pointing on a object to align to. Mostly the relevant object is above or nearby. Like this way: