Balsamiq Community Discussion

Alternates not appearing

Happy Friday friends,

I’ve got an odd one. Is there a reason why the “alternates” would not appear in the bottom half of the inspector?

I have two different Balsamiq files - one it appears in the bottom half of the inspector, while the other it only appears in the mockups panel, which won’t let me rename the alternate.

Thank you.

Huh, that’s weird, @Doug.

I wonder if maybe the project that isn’t showing the alternates is set to show the project info panel, rather than the property inspector.

If you press ALT + ENTER, and deselect any controls, does the alternates panel show back up?

@Brendan Sure is. Thank you for your response.

• Definitely showing the Property Inspector.

• Pressing alt-enter and ensuring no controls are selected does not show the alternates panel.

It’s so strange because I do have alternates, but am forced to access them through the mock up panel.

Hmm.

Would it be possible to share the project with us?

@Brendan I wish I could, but I can’t.

If I get desperate, I’ll empty the mockups (confidential) & send it over.

Thanks again.

Totally understand, Doug.

If you have time, you may want to try it in Balsamiq Wireframes for Desktop, just to see if they are missing there too. (I’m happy to give you a trial key if you need it.)

1 Like

Hi @Brendan,

Thanks again for your help. I copied the balsamiq file to a new folder to begin removing mockups so I could send it to you. When I opened it though, the “Alternate versions” panel appeared again. Seems like something small thing just needed a reset.

All the best.

Thanks for letting us know, @Doug. What a weird one! :slight_smile:

Please let us know if you need anything else, we’ll be here to help!

Thank you guys. @Virgin @Brendan

Point of curiosity. I did manage to solve the issue by placing the balsamiq file in a different folder. As I mentioned I initially did this to remove all mock ups from the Balsamiq file so I could send on to you. Saving and placing it back in it’s original folder caused to problem to arise. Leaving it in a different folder corrected the issue.

Have a great weekend.

That is very strange. That really makes me think it’s a setting that’s gone awry because, I believe, we recognize files by name + last saved directory. When we recognize a file, we load the view settings you were using with that file.

If you make a copy of the file, rename it, and place it in the original folder, do you still see the issue?