Balsamiq Community Discussion

Balsamiq desktop license fee

Hi all,
Balsamiq license for Desktop is a one time purchase fee or is this a reoccuring annual fee?

Thanks,
Magdalena

Ciao Magdalena,

Balsamiq Wireframes for Desktop is a one-time purchase, so there are no maintenance or recurring fees associated with the license: https://balsamiq.com/support/sales/maintenance/#when-does-my-maintenance-start-and-end

With that said, please note that minor-version (4.x) updates are free, whereas major-version ones have a cost, although they are optional.

I hope this helps, Magdalena, and if you have any other questions, feel free to follow-up with Valerie via email.

Best,
Liz

Hi Liz,

I’m not sure if I fully understand the part about minor vs major updates.

If there is a newer version of the software available for download, as a license user I can just download the newer version for free correct?

If I need to follow up with Valerie on this that’s fine. Could you please send me her contact info?

Thank you,

Magdalena

Magdalena,

If there is a newer version of the software available for download, as a license user I can just download the newer version for free correct?

This depends on when you purchase your license and what version you purchased for.

For example, the current major version is 4.0, so when we release minor updates for this version, the version numbers will look something like this: 4.0.10, 4.1, 4.2, etc. If you already have a license for version 4, then you can install all of the minor updates for free (anything that is 4.x.x).

In this same scenario, a major version will be next number up: version 5.0. In this case, a license purchased for version 4 will not work and will require a paid update if you’d like to use it.

We have a bit more info here: https://balsamiq.com/wireframes/desktop/sales/update/

I hope this provides a little more information, Magdalena. I only suggested to follow-up with Valerie because I saw you emailed sales@balsamiq.com and she responded. We can continue there or here, however you prefer :slight_smile:

Liz

Paid the one time fee last year, tried to install it and I’m requested to pay again. So no, it’s not once for all, unfortunately.

Be ready to have to buy it again regularly.

Hi Adrieng,

It sounds like you might have accidentally installed Balsamiq Wireframes for Desktop (our new paid update).

You can always install Mockups 3 for Desktop here:

So you are not obligated to use or update to the new version. You can continue using Mockups for Desktop in perpetuity, as we’ll continue to officially support it through January 15, 2021. After that date, the software will continue to work, we just don’t foresee shipping any new changes to it.

I hope this provides a little clarity. Please let me know if you have any other questions. You can also reach us at sales@balsamiq.com.