Balsamiq Community Discussion

Balsamiq Mockups 3.5.17 saving thumbnails

Hi Friends,

I’m running:
-Balsamiq Mockups 3.5.17
-Autosave disabled.
-Balsamiq project running on local drive.
-Plenty of memory, CPU & HD.

and recently, Balsamiq became “stuck” or “locked” during saving thumbnails. I was forced to kill the task and was very thankfully able to restore my work from the local backups. I’m on a high paced project and had I lost the work it would have been bad. Would the file size be an issue? I was upwards of 18mg.

Moving forward:
-I have cleaned up the project, emptied the trash, etc. (file size down to approx. 15mg)
-Running “check for updates” directs me to a Balsamiq Wireframes 4.1 download. Can Balsamiq mockups be updated without going to a different product?
-Is there anything else I can do to help Balsamiq out? Is there an error log I can look at? I really don’t want this happening again if I can avoid it.

Thank you.

Hi @Doug,

Thanks for the post. We see this issue infrequently with Mockups 3 and there seem to be a number of factors which contribute to the issue: the number of wireframes, their relative complexity and the extent of use of certain controls (e.g. the more complex ‘Data Grid’ control).

15Mb - 18Mb is a reasonably large project file but there’s no hard and fast size guide. I have seen projects which are over 50Mb perform fine and smaller, more complex projects which are less than 5Mb have issues.

How many wireframes does your project contain?

To answer your specific questions:

Can Balsamiq mockups be updated without going to a different product?

Unfortunately not - with Adobe Flash/Air coming to its end of life, we’ve had to move on from the Adobe platform as the underlying framework of our desktop app. We’ll continue to support Mockups 3 until January 15th 2021, beyond which the code will no longer be updated.

Is there anything else I can do to help Balsamiq out?

Keeping your project lean and organized is a good habit to be in and it sounds like you’re already there: selecting and deleting unused images; removing unused Symbols; and emptying the Trash regularly will all help.

If you are not super reliant on linking, splitting your project into smaller projects is another way to mitigate performance issues. We tend to think of 100 wireframes as the working limit but, again, I’ve seen much larger projects work fine so it is project dependent.

If you would like us to take a look at your project to see if anything sticks out, we’d be happy to do that - Of course, we’ll only keep it as long as needed for the investigation and only Balsamiq staff will have access.

Just email it to support@balsamiq.com. If it’s too large to attach to an email, you can send it via a Dropbox link or using a file-transfer service like https://wetransfer.com/ or such.