Balsamiq Community Discussion

Balsamiq Stuck "Saving thumbnails..."

Hi there,

I’m under the gun to complete some work and Balsamiq seems “stuck” at the “Saving thumbnails…” window.

I can still access the menu and move the “Saving thumbnails…” dialog around the screen. Any tips so I don’t lose my work?

Thank you.

Hey @Doug,

Sounds like something got stuck saving your file. Are you saving to a networked drive or folder?

Let’s try this first: open up the backup folder and see if there is a copy of your project in there. If there is, make a copy, move it out of the backup folder, and then double-click to open it. Is it up-to-date? If so, you can close out of the other window.

1 Like

@Brendan, my apologies for not responding sooner. I’ve been buried with work.

I work from my local drive.

I was in a huge rush and ended up ending the task. I was fortunate that I opened the file up and everything was fine. I will keep your advice handy though. Thank you.

Doug.

2 Likes

This happens to me often with large files that have a lot of data grids in them (working from my local drive), even if I have thumbnail view turned off. It would be nice if it generated the thumbnails only when you selected a thumbnail view. Maybe there is some kind of technical reason why the thumbnails have to always be saved when you exit, even if you don’t actually view them, but I’ve seen this hanging a lot. What’s even worse is that if you have multiple project windows open, none of the windows can be closed until the drawing thumbnails is done (which may never happen).

Hi @rshadian,

Thanks for this perspective. Some Mockups 3 customers try to mitigate issues with saving thumbnails, particularly when editing larger projects, by disabling autosaving and saving changes manually:

Give that a go?