Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive - Symbols Not Shown in UI Library

This is maddening, and I’ve wasted the better part of the afternoon, trying to fix this… 1 of two things happens,

1. I NEVER see the symbol appear in the UI library when in the wireframe view when creating mockups. I DO see it in the Symbol view. Closing and opening the file DOES NOT correct this.
  2. I see the symbol appear in the UI Library when in the wireframe view, but when I add it to my wireframe, a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT symbol is inserted. In this case if I COMPLETELY exit my mockup file and re-open it then all behaves as expected. (but why should this be a solution???)

(for the record, I am using Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive NOT the older Balsamiq Mockups 3 for Google Drive, my browser is Firefox)

Hi @DivaVocalsDeluxe

So sorry for the frustration and lost time the issue caused you.
There is indeed a bug in the new Balsamiq Wireframes editor that prevents some symbol libraries to show up in the UI Library. We’re working on fixing it already.

Regarding Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive, the new version is not officially released, yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

We have several products that are currently in private beta (with some users trying it out) but Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive is not one of them. We figured out how you managed to install the new Balsamiq Wireframes and would like to welcome you as our first official user of Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive!

Sorry again for the snag! We’ll do our best to help.

Thanks for the welcome, and the confirmation that this is a bug. I was going CRAZZZZZY!! :slight_smile: I’m also finding odd behaviors tonight where I am unable to select elements of my wireframes to edit them… It takes several tries, multiple clicks, going to a different wireframe sometimes to get them into edit mode… It’s really slowing my work down… sigh

I ended up using Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive because my intern and I repeatedly got an error message when we were using Mockups 3 for Google Drive which said we needed to upgrade to Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive. We couldn’t open ANY of our mockup files until we upgraded. The fact that Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive is not officially released explains why my intern and myself had such a HARD time FINDING it to install it…:smiley:

What you experience sounds very familiar and I hoped we fixed the trigger recently… Does following match your experience:

• You click on an element and it does not get selected
  • You try to deselect something and the deselection does not trigger
  • Something else gets selected when you click somewhere

Does one of the three cases apply to you?

The bmpr file you work with supports some new features which Balsamiq Mockups 3 for Google Drive does not support (comments). We prepared for this case and added the error message that you should use Balsamiq Wireframes instead. Which in a way means that this part actually works well. :slight_smile:

That’s spot on, and explains the “mystery” of why we were forced to upgrade to a version we had to HUNT for… :rofl: We use comments and notations in our wireframes because they become content for the UIDD and SRS documents. We are considering eventually foregoing creating separate documents and simply using our Balsamiq wireframes with notations and comments to replace our UIDD (and POSSIBLY our SRS) docs.

Yup! Spot on all of the above… It’s KOOKY as heck, and makes my work take a LOT longer than it should… :smiley: But I am still VERY bullish on this product! (have been since I was introduced to it over 8 years ago!) Hoping you fix this bug soon!! :slight_smile:

Also if this helps… I need to clarify the behavior I previously reported…

I managed to reproduce the “select” bug constantly and reported it to my colleagues. I even had a chance to test the correction. The cause is nudging controls and then scrolling. So as a workaround for today, do not use the arrow keys to move controls.

I have no news on the symbols bug except that we are working on it.

Gotcha!!! Thanks for the “tip” :slight_smile:

No worries… there IS a workaround for this… :slight_smile: copy from the symbols view & paste to the wireframes view does the trick… :slight_smile: I’m just glad to confirm that this really was a BUG… :slight_smile:

One last thing… Are you aware that there are errors when exporting to PDF?

My intern and I find that when viewing the PDFs files in Acrobat’s desktop app that the wireframes will appear as incomplete.

Adbode Acrobat gives the following error:

This is not an issue if you launch the exported PDFs in a web browser from Google Docs.

Hrm, that’s a new one, Diva. Is your version of Adobe Acrobat up-to-date?

We will look into this ASAP.

Edit: I wasn’t able to reproduce this on the latest version of Adobe Acrobat. Would you mind emailing me the PDF that is giving you trouble? I wonder if there is something weird about that particular PDF file.

I’m running Acrobat Pro. I’ll ask my intern what version of Acrobat Reader she is running. Files on their way to you. I sent a sample of one of the troublesome PDFs as well as the Balsamiq doc it was exported from.

Hi @DivaVocalsDeluxe

The symbols bug and the scrollbar issues are fixed.
If you reopen your project you should get the corrections. :slight_smile:

Whoo hoo!!! That’s awesome!!!

Did you receive my PDF file??? Also I talked to some folks who I shared the PDF with via email, they report the same issues with the PDF (Acrobat gives them and error message and elements of the wireframes are missing…) They don’t have issues if I share the PDF and they view it in their browser from Google Docs…

We did receive your file @DivaVocalsDeluxe and I replied to your email earlier today.

We were able to reproduce the PDF issue here and passed it on to our dev team. They will work on fixing it.

In the meantime, we were able to find a workaround for you. Can you please try to use the wireframe skin and export to PDF again?

Hopefully, this will help in the meantime. :slight_smile:

Yup… that did the trick!!! :slight_smile: Awesomeness!!!

You guys rock!!

Well… spoke too soon…

My intern tried it and she still gets the error…

Here’s the version of Acrobat she’s using…