[Bug] Balsamiq consistently crashes when 3 or more projects are simultaneously open

Granted, my files tend to contain a ton of workflows, each with multiple alternate versions (used as version control). The sizes of my BMML files typically fall anywhere between 15MB to 50MB. On average, I’d say most of them are around 15-25, though.

I can usually have 2 files open at any one time (occasionally, a crash may occur). But if I open a 3rd one, then a crash becomes inevitable; at this point, it’s a matter of when, not if.

The crash can occur at any time while I’m performing any kind of action (e.g., moving objects, changing text, changing mockup names, etc.). Most often, it occurs when I’m clicking and dragging objects around the screen, especially if I’ve selected multiple objects to move at once; this is when the application gets super sluggish and unresponsive. If I then click anywhere on the screen while the application is still processing the move, then there is a high chance that the entire screen will glaze over and crash. At this point, I’ll click to exit the app and will be prompted to either close the entire program (which I do) or wait for it to respond. I’ll then open any file to restart the app.

As far as my computer is concerned, I can easily run Photoshop CC 2015 and have 10+ files open, each file between 10MB to 20MB, without experiencing the kind of lag or crashes that are felt in Balsamiq. In other words, I don’t think it’s an issue with my computer.

This issue has consistently occurred since the first release of Balsamiq 3. And it occurs every single day, multiple times a day for me. I’d ideally like to be able to work with 4-5 BMML files open at any one time, but I simply cannot do that due to this issue.

Hey @cko, I’m really sorry for the hassle with multiple files.

It looks like you are hitting the limits of what Adobe Air can do in terms of memory usage. Once Mockups hits 1.5gb of memory usage, Adobe Air starts acting weirdly, which almost always results in a crash of some sort.

This is one of the main drives behind our hard push towards native apps - we are starting to really run into the limits of Air/Flash.

I wish I had a better work around for you, but right now (when you want 3 projects open at the same time) your best bet is to restart Mockups regularly. I am sorry that I don’t have a better answer than that right now.

Native is coming. We get closer and closer every day (we just shipped a native viewer in our Google Drive app) and we hope to have some more substantial news soon.

Got it, thanks for the reply!