[BUG] Blurred UI and everything on Windows 10

Hi Balsamiq,

I’m having trouble with Balsamiq (with latest build and pre-release version) that the UI and mockups are blurred and basically unusable.

I’m working on Windows 10 enterprise and I use scaling 125%:

Can you please do anything to fix this issue? It’s really annoying. I used the same scaling on Windows 7 without any troubles.

Thanks!

Hi @Vaclav_Kocian,

So sorry for the snag!

We were able to reproduce the issue here thanks to your detailed report. I passed it on to the dev team so they can see if there is something we can do to reduce the pain here.

In the meantime, the issue does not seem to occur if 100% viewing is used.

Sorry again for the hassle, I’ll keep you informed on the progression of this as soon as I have more news to share.

Hi @Virgin

thank you for taking care. Please keep me in the loop with all the news about this bug, it’s really annoying.
In the meantime I will probably get back to good old paper and pencil rather than changing the scale on my screens - there’s quite good reason for the scale and all other apps I use work perfectly…

Hey @Vaclav_Kocian,

Thanks for your patience on this.

The dev team had a closer look and the issue is actually a limitation of Adobe AIR running alongside our little tool, so unfortunately not something we can resolve for now I am afraid.

Just so you know, we are actively working on going native as fast as we can to help with this kind of issue. This is a huge project for our small team but we hope to have more news to share about it soon.

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for now @Vaclav_Kocian as scaling seems to be an important part of your workflow. Maybe reporting the bug here could help too: https://bugbase.adobe.com

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Great to hear that you’re going the native way! Finally… :wink: When should we expect such release?

We don’t have any ETA yet @Vaclav_Kocian. It’s a huge project and we don’t want to share anything before it’s ready.
That being said, we’ll definitely share news as soon as possible, so stay tuned! :smile:

Hi @Virgin, one more remark - at Windows 7 Balsamiq works perfectly even when the scale is on at 125%:

Thanks for adding this information @Vaclav_Kocian, we’ll keep an eye on this one!

Found a fix: http://superuser.com/questions/947391/windows-10-font-blurry-125-scaling

HDPI support on Windows?

Hey there, the above is not a viable resolution to the true problem here. I just bought Balsamiq 3 and it looks pretty darn bad on Windows 10. I have a 4k monitor (17" laptop) and 200% scaling for readability. At this point, only balsamiq is lagging behind the times it appears with not supporting hiDPI scaling for the applications that I use on a regular basis. Both fonts and images are blurry in this application.

+1 for my vote to get this fixed. After all, having a UX application with a bad UI on modern computers can’t be good for business ;-).

I agree, Jack, it’s a bad bug. I wish we could do more to fix it in the current application, but it’s a framework issue and would require us to rewrite the entire app.

So we are rewriting the entire app. :slight_smile:

I’d be more than happy to get you on the list for the beta if you’re interested. I don’t know when that will start, but we are working on it right now.

If you don’t mind working on an online app, I can also get you added to the beta program for our new web app as well. That way you can see the enhancements we have made.

Of course, if this is a deal breaker for you, don’t hesitate to shoot us an email. We don’t want you to feel like you’re stuck with an app that you cannot use.

Let me know how we can help, @jackdpeterson!