[BUG] Inconsistent white spacing preceding text in Data Grid cells

(I am using Chrome build 66.0.3359.139 to access the Google Drive version of Balsamiq Wireframes)

With text in a data grid cell I expect the following:

1. That every cell, in every column or row, will pad text in the same way
  2. That two cells with an identical number of spaces in the text will display the same amount of white space

Currently, 1 is not the case and 2 is not the case for prepended spaces. Here is a screenshot:

The content of the grid is as follows:

With respect to point 1, cells in the first column are automatically padded with 1 space on the left, even when no spaces are prepended to the text (yellow highlight in the first cell of the first row), while cells in other columns have no left-hand padding when no spaces are prepended (no highlight in the second cell of the first row). While I, personally, would prefer to see automatic padding of one space on the left side of every cell (as in the first column) I’d be content if the behaviour was at least consistent across all columns.

With respect to point 2, cells in the first column receive an additional amount of white space for each space that is prepended to the text (yellow highlights in the first cell of rows 2-4), while cells in all other columns ignore the first prepended space and then add white space for any additional spaces (yellow highlights in the second cell of rows 2-4). In this case, always ignoring the first space would be a reasonable fix as it would allow users to include a single space after each comma in a row for legibility without also adding preceding space to the text.

Although not shown, all spaces do correctly add the same amount of white space for each space when inserted or appended to text in any cell in any column.

-Jenni

Hey @Jenni_Merrifield,

I tend to agree with your expectations. I’ve written up a ticket to get this looked at. Thanks for the clear, well-considered report.