BUG: Promoting to official version breaks thumbnails

alternates

Twice now, when I’ve promoted an alternate version to the official version, the thumbnails in the frame to the left have been corrupted. If the original official version is A and the original alternate is B, I’m promoting B to be official. However, the thumbnail display for the “Official Version” remains A, and the thumbnail display for the “alternate version” is now blank.

However, this seems to be confined to a single project file - I can’t replicate it with an older version of the same project.

Hi @cmolodo,

Sorry for the hassle with this.

Does the issue still show up if you restart the app?
Also, are you running the latest version (3.4.4) of Mockups?

I’ve been trying to reproduce it here but the thumbnails are updating as expected on my end. Could you please send your BMPR file to support@balsamiq.com so that we can give it a try? We will keep your data strictly confidential and only long enough to try to debug your issue.

We’ll get to the bottom of it!

Thanks for the response!

The bug initially happened in version 3.4.2. The mockups with corrupted thumbnails stay broken, even after restart and after installing the current version. However, I managed to get it to happen once in 3.4.4 as well, in another project file, and I think the key may be to very quickly delete the copy of the alternate. That is:

Original:
Official (A)
Alternate (B)

After promotion:
Official (B)
Former official (A)
Copy of alternate ©

When I immediately delete C after promoting B, I can (rarely) get the incorrect thumbnails. Though in this case it’s just the new “Official” thumbnail that’s wrong - the other thumbnails are fine. I’m guessing because there’s a slight delay in updating the thumbnails? Basically, I may just be too impatient!

I can certainly send a BMPR with corrupted thumbnails, but I’d need to edit it first.

On further investigation, the thumbnail DOES get updated to the correct version as soon as you make any changes to the affected mockup. So this issue probably isn’t worth investigating.

Sorry to bother you, thank you for the quick response though!

I was literally about to ask you that question but you replied before! :slight_smile:

It sounds like the “broken” thumbnail is caused by multiple actions made very quickly one after the other (promote, delete…) indeed. Thanks for letting us know that making an edit solves it on your end. We’ll keep an eye on this one and try to see if we can mitigate the issue in future versions.

We’re here to help if you need anything else!