Balsamiq Community Discussion

Call and return back

If I have a screen x “similar to a list of values” but it is displayed as a screen.
This screen x is called from multiple other screens for selecting some data. After selection of after close the user is returned back to the original one (this is a standard web app functionality)

How can I demo this call (selection or close and return back to the original screen) if I want to do this call from multiple screens?

I have to duplicate the screen x an many times as I have to demo the return back? I hope no.

Actually, @simple45, you should be able to use Go Back as the link destination for your Screen X, it should return you to the wireframe you were on.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 8.45.10 AM

Give that a try.

I saw that but this does not work o on the pdf export.
The pdf export is very important because it is a deliverable and the links must work perfectly on it.
The client is not going to have balsamiq installed. So, this is not a solution.

Ahh, then yeah, there isn’t a way to do it without duplication, unfortunately.

PDFs are pretty rigid in what they can do, and what you’re asking for is not available in the PDF spec. I’m sorry about that, my friend.

Duplication is not a solution at all. You think that each time I have to manage a “close screen” action, I will create a duplicate? it has non sens.

Unfortunately, we don’t have any control over the PDF spec, @simple45, so there isn’t much I can offer you here. We can only export our PDFs to be compatible.

It’s why we added the Go-Back feature for demoing in full screen - to avoid exactly this scenario.

I am curious to read how other balsamiq users manage that? calling a screen, select and close is a very standard functionality. I can not imagine that they work with duplications…

Let’s see.

@simple45

I have similar challenges with Select Drop Downs, Menu’s and Modal Dialogs.

You have to duplicate for the PDF output in these cases.

You can save time by creating groups of elements and turning them into symbols so that if you need to change anything on one of the duplicates it can change everywhere.

(But Symbols come with their own limitations around not being able to make elements invisible or add new elements to them.)

I used a section with links to return back as a side panel, see my image:

The links are out of the working area and don’t draw too much attention.

1 Like

Well there is, but it is non-standard. Cf. Prince XML forum: Back navigation in a PDF.

1 Like

paulshoughton :
I don’t understand how symbols are a solution for something working on a presentation mode but not on a pdf.

Alexey :
The pdf I have to provide to the client has to reflect reality. For example, I need to click on a “window-close” icon and return back. The link “Go Back” in working of a presenttaion mode but NOT on the pdf.

So, the section with links, you are suggesting is for what exactly?

The section contains all the links to return back to the screens, where the dialog was called.

Wireframe is a part of a project’s documentation, so it’s totally OK to have description/notes there and section with links. At this stage you need by all the means move a project to implementation, and Balsamiq is a great tool for this.

Also remember, all the wireframes would be thrown into a trashcan after implementation, so don’t strive to make these perfect.

@simple45 Apologies for not being clear.

You need duplicate pages for each link to return to.

Use of symbols simply saves me time when I need to make a change to one of the pages that is duplicated.

This topic is about Goback link, not working on a PDF. So, your first reply about symbols is not related to the topic.
And as explained above, I want to avoid duplicating,

Thanks Alexey.
I am ok with notes and comments. I am NOT ok with such links. In my case, the pdf is provided to end users also, such links will more confuse than help.

@simple45 I think the problem is that what you’re looking for isn’t possible.

You want to have a working “go back” link that you can export to PDF because there needs to be feature parity when demoing it for your user. That feature is not a part of the PDF spec, so it cannot be implemented in a way that works on every PDF reader.

Both Paul and Alex gave their ideas for workarounds to this issue (which were good), but it really sounds like what you’re looking for isn’t possible.

It seems like you’re requirements need to have a little flexibility, one way or another. Either you need to be ok with a workaround for the PDF export, or you need to demo your wireframes inside of the app (which has a Go Back feature).

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

Thanks Brendan and all.
Yes, seems like, I have no choice than duplicating :grinning: