Balsamiq Community Discussion

Can a linked screen be displayed on top of another screen?

I am new to Balsamiq Mockups 3.5. I want to mockup a popup screen that displays in front of an existing screen an when closed, the screen behind it still displays. Is this technically possible? Right now I am creating multiple copies of the same screens to simulate this user experience, but it isn’t very efficient. Thanks in advance for your help

Hi @dhoule,

Thanks for the post - this is a great question. The only way to implement the kind of interaction you’re describing is to create two (or more) wireframes for each state (e.g. a ‘before’ state such as a web page and an ‘after’ state such as a web page with an overlaid dialog) and switch between them using linking.

It really gets to the heart of the kind of tool we are (i.e. a low-fi wireframing tool rather than a prototyping tool). It’s very much a deliberate decision. Hopefully it will help to read some background on “Why We Aren’t Doing Deep Interaction in Mockups” and “How Does Balsamiq Compare to Other UI/UX Tools?

I know it can seem limited but hopefully you can still use us to lay out your different wireframes and states and do what you need to do with the linking feature? If anything is unclear or you have additional questions, please let us know and we’ll do what we can to help, ok?

When you repeating the same screen multiple times, it’s a good point to start using symbols. You have a master symbol and multiple instances. So when you need to change something, you change the master, and the instances will be updated.

Also you’d probably like to use alternative versions of the mockup. First, create the basic state of the screen, and add alternates, which contain different dialogs over the main screen. In this way you’ll save a time for placing the instance of the main screen as a background on each mockup.

Have any questions? Just ask :wink:

Thanks for your help and very quick reply.

Regards,

Denise Houle