Can I Use Balsamiq Mockups 3 for Desktop with Local Network Collaboration?

Can I Use Balsamiq Mockups 3 for Desktop to work on a file from local network drive with 2 to 3 person (on the same local network) collaboratively in real time without the need to go through the internet (which is slow and unstable)?

Welcome to our forums @Yue_Hong!

Real-time collaboration is something we plan to bring to all of our products, as detailed here, but it’s not available yet in Mockups 3 for Desktop. You can try it out using Mockups 3 for Google Drive if needed.

On a side note, this feature requires an internet connection and it will likely work the same way in all our products.

Please let us know if you need anything else, we’ll be happy to help however we can. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am excited for getting real-time collaboration coming to the desktop version soon. Hopefully it will be something that can be function without the need of internet, especially for a team of people to collaborate locally.

From one of your old blog post (https://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2009/02/01/near-real-time-collaboration-with-mockups-and-dropbox/), I can see that the desktop version of Mockups does come with the functionality of monitoring file changes. If the file is changed, it will automatically reload it. But it seems to be removed on the new version. I believe simply by bringing this feature back with some basic improvement on it, it will be super awesome feature for local real-time collaboration.

Thank you.

You’re right, @Yue_Hong, this feature had to be removed when we introduced our new file format (.bmpr files) which contains all elements of a project in the same file. We also introduced an autosave feature with Mockups version 3 and this does not always play well with network drive’s syncing systems (but we recently implemented the ability to turn autosave off if needed).

These are some of the reasons why this feature cannot be a part of our Desktop version for now, but we definitely want to bring real-time collaboration in the future!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us today. Please keep your ideas coming, it’s always helpful for us!