Balsamiq Community Discussion

Can you create a MASTER dynamically updated control?

Hello, I am new to Balsamiq and loving it already!

I would like to know if I can create a control - in my case a V-tab or a Tab bar - that will update in all my wireframes if I add a tab or edit the text in a tab list on a Master control.

This would save me tons of time having to unlock and update each control on each wireframe individually.

I don’t have the hang of all the correct terminology yet so I did not find any reference to this in the forum.

Thanks in advance!
Sandra

Hi @SandraC and welcome to the forums!

In short, yes! We have a feature called Symbols which allows you to create reusable common elements that you can use across different wireframes. A Symbols is typically a group of controls that represents a single piece of functionality (e.g. a ‘Social Sharing’ group or, say, a page header or footer).

Once you have created your Symbol, it can easily be accessed via the UI Library - just like the built-in controls.

The thing you’ll love about Symbols is that, if you make a change to the source Symbol (the ‘master’ Symbol if you will) that change is applied to any wireframe using the Symbol automatically.

Why not take a look at the help doc for the feature - Symbols - and get back to us with any questions?

Amazing! Such a time saver. I will check that out now :slight_smile:

Thank you :smile:

1 Like

Hello again,

So I set up a master symbol for my tabs and editing the text in the master updates all my wireframes :slight_smile:

However, I found that if I need to change the Tab that is active in the Selections dropdown, I lose the connection to the Symbol.

I know that this is a big ask, but is there a way to disconnect the “Active” tab setting from the Master symbol and keep the ability to change the tab texts?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Excellent!

So the effect you are describing is what we call Overriding - you can read about it in detail here: Overriding Symbol Properties

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to override the Selection property in one of the instances of your Symbol but still update the text of the tabs in the Symbol and have that change reflected across all instances of the Symbol.

Just to be sure, when you override the Selection property in a single instance of the Symbol, you should see this change in the Property Inspector:

The green color of the property indicates this property is overridden. The little green x allows you to undo the override.

Symbols and overriding can get a little complex so would you like to review the help docs on overriding and get back to us if you continue to have issues? It may be easier to work through your specific case if we can see your project file so, if you need to follow up, would you download and email your .BMPR project file to support@balsamiq.com and we’ll be happy to take a look.

Thank you @alasdair - I have sent an email to your attention with my .BMPR file.

1 Like