Balsamiq Community Discussion

Can't find the View > Graph Paper option in Balsamiqs 4

Doesn’t seem to be around, like in Mockups 3.

Hi Colin, we removed the Graph Paper option from Wireframes, for simplicity and to further stress that Wireframes is not about straight lines and pixel perfect designs.

We plan to improve our snap lines feature to allow you to line things up on a grid inside a browser or a container.

In the meantime, I am attaching a screenshot of the old grid, to use as a workaround. You can add it to your project, send it to back and lock it. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Thanks for attaching the workaround - should work fine for me.

However - one of the great features of the “Graph Paper” was making it really easy to differentiate “white screens” from “empty space”.

Functionality to set the canvas colour to #F0F0F0 or the like would also help serve similar functionality to having the actual gridlines or dot grids etc.

1 Like

Interesting…you could also use a borderless Rectangle control with a fill color…again sent to back and locked.

But I’ll consider the “change background color” feature…thanks Colin!

Agreed, the white on white is challenging … the graph background helped me distinguish. I wish I could change the background to an off-white color

1 Like

We have a story for that too, @Majid_Hashemi. I have added your comments :slight_smile:

Ah damn. This was a really good feature. Even that wireframes are not “about straight lines”, having something straight allows me to focus on the other important things. Now I have to spend extra time to snap things to be symmetrical.

I’m sorry about that, @PET. Does the grid wallpaper that Peldi posted help at all? You can put that on your canvas first, and then wireframe over it.

I just installed Balsamiq 4 and also miss the graph paper.

Like Colin said, it helps to see if the white on the screen is whitespace in the my mockup or background that isn’t used so far.

It also added to the feeling of doing paper prototyping instead of working on a computer. I never used the grid for pixel perfection or to align stuff. It always gave me the feeling of drawing in a notepad, trying out different ideas.

A graph paper as a background wouldn’t help because then I would have to add this graph paper as a background to all my mockups forever. This would be tedious.

1 Like