Balsamiq Community Discussion

Comments text is always center aligned

When you create a new comment, the text is always center aligned. This may look OK for a very short comment but for longer explanations and bullet lists it’s quite unreadable. So I have to manually left align every new comment.
Question: Is there a way to set the default alignment for comments?
Additionally there seems to be a bug when importing BMML files into Mockups 3: In the imported mockups, every comment is now center aligned, even if it was not in the BMML file. Please fix :smile:

3 Likes

Hi @PhilippQF,

Sorry for the hassle.

There is no way to set the default alignment for comments but I understand this could be very useful feature, thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve added this request to our internal tracker so we can review and consider it for the future.
If others would like to see this feature, please let us know (or add your Like/Heart vote above) to help us prioritize this request.

Regarding the comment’s alignment behavior when importing a BMML file into Mockups 3, that is actually expected.
Left alignment in BMML files you import is not a property, it is the default behavior if the text is wide enough to fill the full width of the control. So when you import to Mockups 3, we use the default alignment (centered) since there was no property setup for it.

Hope this helps! :smile:

1 Like

Hey Virgin,

thanks for the quick answer!

I actually was not aware of the automatic formatting in Mockups 2 - so it must have been good :slight_smile: Could we have that in Mockups 3 as well? As we can set the properties here, it might be useful to have an extra button for “auto” next to left, center and right align.
Additional suggestion: If the text contains bullets (created with dashes), it should also automatically switch to left aligned.

Cheers,

Philipp

1 Like

Hi again @PhilippQF ,

I added these suggestions so we can further discuss it internally.

Thanks for your input on this! :wink:

1 Like

I would also like to add my vote to Philipp’s here. I have 1000’s of mock-ups, all with very long comments and having them show up centered is horrible. We use these as design documents. This does. not. work.

1 Like

What is worse - all of the comments in my PAST Balsamiq’s have been converted to center-aligned, so nobody can read them easily (especially those with bullet points). I have to go through each one and left-align them. This should have been implemented as a preference.

Ugh, I’m sorry about that, @tunebeach61.

We are going to jump back into looking into features/bugs like this as soon as we ship the new version of the desktop app.

I’m sorry again for any frustration this is causing you.

Wanted to pitch in with our solution. We have the same dislike of center-align.
We solved this by selecting the Comment and Transforming to a Text. We lost the pretty yellow design but the format readability is 100% better.

1 Like

There has been no improvement on this topic in version 4.x :frowning_face: Can we still expect something here?

We are attacking the bugs that have come up since launch, Phillip, but we will start on feature work very soon. :slight_smile:

Giving this story a nudge for you.

1 Like