Balsamiq Community Discussion

Editing symbol source doesn't propagate to existing instances

I created a symbol like so:
{"mockup":{"controls":{"control":[{"ID":"6","measuredH":"16","measuredW":"16","properties":{"icon":{"ID":"circle","size":"xsmall"}},"typeID":"Icon","x":"0","y":"0","zOrder":"0"},{"ID":"7","measuredH":"16","measuredW":"16","properties":{"icon":{"ID":"circle","size":"xsmall"}},"typeID":"Icon","x":"94","y":"0","zOrder":"1"},{"ID":"8","measuredH":"16","measuredW":"16","properties":{"color":"0","icon":{"ID":"circle","size":"xsmall"}},"typeID":"Icon","x":"24","y":"0","zOrder":"2"},{"ID":"9","measuredH":"16","measuredW":"16","properties":{"color":"0","icon":{"ID":"circle","size":"xsmall"}},"typeID":"Icon","x":"71","y":"0","zOrder":"3"},{"ID":"10","measuredH":"16","measuredW":"16","properties":{"icon":{"ID":"circle","size":"xsmall"}},"typeID":"Icon","x":"47","y":"0","zOrder":"4"}]},"measuredH":"16","measuredW":"110","mockupH":"16","mockupW":"110","version":"1.0"}}

And then I create an instance of the symbol. When I change one of the circles to a different color in the symbol source, the instance doesn’t get the update, even though I haven’t overridden any properties.

I’m using:
Version: 3.5.14 - 07/06/2017 02:16
Adobe Air Player Version: MAC 23,0,0,162

Huh, that is odd, @richardpeng. I’m sorry about that.

I was able to change the color and have it update, so maybe our processes are different. Here is what I did; let me know if it matches the steps you took:

I did the exact same process twice:

In the project that isn’t working:

In a brand new project:

I’m not sure why doing the same thing in the main project doesn’t work.

Very weird, Richard. I’m sorry about that.

Would it be possible to share the project file with us privately? I can have @Florian_Brauer poke at it and see if we can figure out what’s up.

If that works for you, send over to us via email and we will get started.