Balsamiq Community Discussion

Establishing Global Assets

I have different assets in different projects and I’d like to have all my assets in one place, available for any project. I see this was requested in 2016, 3+ years ago. I’d say this is long overdue.

I’d be open to making them symbols if it allows me to have them loaded onto every new project I create.

Having to babysit my assets over and over again in your tool is simply not an efficient use of anyone’s time.

I welcome any suggestions.

Debbie

Hi @DebK and thanks for the post.

I hear your frustration - and it’s definitely a request we’ve heard from other users - so the first thing I’ve done is add a vote in support of this feature to our tracking (we track all feature requests formally and posts like this help us prioritize what can often seem like an infinite number of requests).

That said, the news is not great - we don’t have any near-term plans to implement global assets in the desktop app. I know it’s not the answer you want to hear but I also think it’s important to be up-front about this kind of thing and not mislead you about the likelihood of features being added and our priorities.

Taking a step back, the bulk of our engineering effort over the past few months has been focused on getting out from under the Adobe Air framework and creating new, native versions of the desktop apps. In doing that, we have been able to address some requests which come with going native (e.g. better image and PDF export quality, larger canvas) but we’ve not added any new features, particularly features which would require a change to the .bmpr file format which has a knock-on effect for other versions of the app. That said, we’ll be able to turn our attention back to feature requests like this once the new desktop apps are shipping.

In the meantime, you could find a flow that works for you and allows you to work around this by creating ‘template’ projects (just a blank project) which contains all your required assets and Symbols. Any time you create a new project, just open that template project then ‘Save As…’ to create your new Mockups project which will contain your global assets and Symbols.

I know it’s not ideal - not least because it doesn’t handle adding new global assets to any project based on the original blank template - but it may save some time and effort for new projects.

I hate to not have a better answer for you, @DebK

If this is just too frustrating and it’s something of a deal-breaker for you, drop me a line at sales@balsamiq.com and we can talk about options (e.g. a refund that would allow you to move on from Balsamiq to a tool which has that feature). All the best for now.