Export Notes improvment

I am using the notes on mockups and would like to have more possibility to improve the presentation of it in the tool but also after pdf export.
First it would be nice if the spaces and line break between some text are kept at export for example if i enter this:
text line 1
text line 2

text line 3

I would have it the same in the PDF but today I obtain something like :
text line 1 text line 2 text line 3

Possibility to have part of the text on a different color, in bold or underligned would be great also.
I also would like to choose where in the export are diplayed the notes ( after or before the mockup or even at the left or right)

( hope I am understandable as English is not my first language, I am french)

Totally understandable, @FabienneB.

This is something that is on our radar. The notes not respecting line breaks is a bug that we will get fixed, while the ability to change their location/style is something we want to add.

I’ll make sure our dev team knows you’re looking for it! If there is anything else you can think of, please let us know. :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to post about this, Fabienne!

Also I just had one case where notes and sketch overlap.

Hi @M_Christmann,

Sorry for the snag. I’ve tried to reproduce it here using the new Smartphone control that you seem to be using too but the issue didn’t show up for me:

Could you please send your BMPR file to support@balsamiq.com so that we can try to reproduce the issue here? We will keep your data strictly confidential and only long enough to try to debug your issue.

We’ll do our best to help! :slight_smile:

I saw exactly the same problem of over lapping… if you need another example of bpmr file. It happens only if the option “shrink to fit a page” is selected.

Here is the bmpr file reduced to the smartphone control and my notes :slight_smile:
bug.bmpr (234 KB)

Also the settings i used for the export

Thank you both for sharing the details, that helps a lot!

@FabienneB do you also use a Smartphone control in your mockups?
Would you mind sharing the .bmpr file either here or via support@balsamiq.com?

We’ll get to the bottom of it, friends. Thanks for your help!

no I am not using smartphone control. here the bmpr file Example of Mockups with comments.bmpr (71 KB)
and also the export file Example of Mockups with comments.pdf (91.2 KB)

Any news about this?

I’m sorry for the lack of updates on this, @M_Christmann. I am not sure when the update will be available, but the team is actively working on it.

As soon as we have news, I will let you guys know.

I have found that the notes do not overlap when the export settings are set to optimize for viewing on-screen.

I hope this helps.

I too would like more control over the placement and formatting of notes. I’ve also had the overlap issue. As was previously commented, it was when I selected “Shrink to Fit a Page” and my mockup was very long.

If you start your Notes entry while in Presentation Mode, it will switch you to design mode and allow the carriage return. So the carriage return (I’m dating myself) bug is in the design mode itself.

Indeed, @DebK. Not what we intended at all. We want you to be able to edit the notes in Full-Screen Presentation Mode as well.

I’m sorry again for the slow progress on these topics, friends. They will be fixed!

Brendan, It got weird after that. After it switched me back to the design mode, the carriage return worked in design mode too.

Oh that’s strange, @DebK, was it not working previous to that?

There was a bug with that a couple version back, but I believe it’s been fixed in 3.5.7. Let me know what you’re running into and we will figure out what’s going on. :slight_smile:

Hi all!

Good news! We just released our latest official version (3.5.8) and mockup notes should not overlay the mockup image in exported PDFs anymore.

Thanks again for reporting it! :slight_smile:

You can grab the latest release here.
And the complete release notes are here if needed.