Export to PDF hangs partway through

I seem to have perhaps run into some kind of limits on my current project. Just updated to 3.4.2 on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. I am using a lot of screen images in my project, and the project size is now 107MB.

So in addition to not being able to export to PDF, I get other weird behavior like the thumbnails not matching when I change to a view without markup.

But the worst problem is that I can no longer export to PDF. It freezes about 40 percent into the export, never creates a file, and just sits there. I’ve tried rebooting, using different machines, doing a save as (which only works sometimes). I’ve had this problem in the past and somehow got around it (don’t remember how). I have tried removing unused assets, but nothing seems to work.

See attached screenshot.

Ouch, @mellsworth. I’m really sorry about that.

I would bet that it has to do with the size of the project. Have you tried to close down mockups, re-open it, and then export the PDF as the first thing you do?

If so, I’d like to see if we can get it to export on our side. If possible, you can send it to support@balsamiq.com, and we will check it out ASAP.

I’m really sorry for the trouble. We will do everything we can to get it sorted.

Thanks for the rapid response! Yes, I’ve tried every trick I can think of, including rebooting, starting Balsamiq, opening the project and immediately trying to export it.

Just now, I tried to export it to a zip, hoping maybe to recreate it, but that failed. I tried to put it into view mode, and I get a black screen.

I don’t think a 100MB file will go through email. Do you have an upload option?

Thanks.

ME

I don’t have an option that we control end-to-end, unfortunately. :frowning:

Do you have google drive or dropbox? You could upload it there and then send the link to us.

Edited out link :slight_smile:

I ran into a similar issue awhile back. Everything works fine until it gets to one screen it doesn’t like, and then chokes. Through process of elimination, I found that screen, deleted it and recreated from scratch (not copy/paste) and then ran the export without issue.

How bizarre, @Josh_Johnson. If you run into that again, let us know. We’d love to debug it.

This happens to me all the time now. I can’t export anything to PDF without it hanging. Not even a single screen.

I’m sorry about that, @monsonhaefel.

Is your copy of Mockups 3 for Desktop up-to-date?

If so, would it be possible to share the project with us at support@balsamiq.com? We can take a look and see if we can figure out what’s wrong.

I had the same experience as Josh previously. I found a slide, don’t remember how, changed it and was able to export. I have 140 mockups and the export hangs roughly a third of the way through. I wish I remember how I solved this before because I don’t want to just randomly start recreating mockups.

Is there a way to know which mockup the export is working on when it hangs?

Thanks.

ME

If you send it our way again, @mellsworth, I can have Florian take a look at it.

Just PM me a dropbox link and I’ll pass it on to him.

I have exactly the same issue. Closing and reopening sometimes works but more often than not it just hangs or does nothing or memory spikes

Sorry for the hassle with this one, @thomen.

Are you running the latest version of Mockups, 3.5.1?

If the issue persists and is specific to one project, could you please send the BMPR file to support@balsamiq.com so that we can try to reproduce the issue here?
We will keep your data strictly confidential and only long enough to try to debug your issue.

We’ll do our best to help!

Hi! yes I’m running the latest version.
Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Hi Brendan,

I am experiencing the same issue and I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind having a look at the file. Or sharing a possible solution. The problem is on mockup 11. It seems to bump into something that it can’t process. Let me know how I can give you access.

Best regards,
Philippe

Absolutely Philippe!

If you can send the project to support@balsamiq.com, I will make sure Florian has a look at it today (Thursday)

Thanks Brendan! I will send it first thing when I get in the office.

Wow, this just happened to me with 127 mockups - locked up for over 15 minutes and then suddenly closed and reopened. Luckily, I didn’t lose any work but that is really unsettling when you’ve been working all day.

IDEA: the heading of the Export window shows a total count of the screens being exported. How about expanding that a little to say “Screen X of Y”

OR
Provide a user-friendly progress log, text file maybe, so we can follow along and watch it crash so we know where it died.

Mike.

Unfortunately, Michael, I’m not sure these are things we can do with the current framework. I’ll double check with the dev team, though. Would be a useful feature to have.

I’m really sorry for the scare, my friend. Let me know if you hit this again.