Exporting all symbols as PNG

Hi there -

I have a symbols library that has over 100 symbols in it and I would love to be able to export each of those symbols as a separate PNG file - is there a simple way for me to do that?

Thanks!

Project > Import > assets, I think it’s the best way.

Try it and give me a feed back

Thanks for the assist, @nitselec, but I think @vlad is trying to go the other way and get his symbols exported out.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a good to do this automatically, and I’m sorry about that.

You could enter the Symbol library (View > Symbols), click through the list of symbols, and export them individually using CMD/CTRL+R, but that solution starts to fall apart when you have a large symbol library.

You are not the first person to ask for this, Vlad. Let me talk to the dev team and see if there is anything we could do better here. If this is becoming a growing need for folks, we definitely want to act on it.

If anyone else would like the ability to export all their symbols as separate PNGs, let me know by liking or commenting below.

@Brendan - thank you for your response! It would be amazingly helpful if you guys could do something there. I don’t know how frequent of a use case this is but we have to export a whole bunch of symbols individually as PNGs and do it every week, which does end up being quite tedious.

Let me know if I can be helpful in determining a good solution.

It would be awesome if we can get this feature added! I have a lot of symbols in my symbol library as well - would be great to have the option to export all of them as separate PNGs.

hi @Brendan - just checking in to see if there has been any movement on this? Thanks!

Hi @vlad and thanks for checking on this one.

We are pretty heads down on some big updates for all of our apps right now (going native!) but we’ll make sure to keep an eye on this one and measure how much people would need it.

In the meantime, we’re here if you need anything else!

Starting Point:

Develop low fidelity mockups in Balsamiq.
Develop high fidelity mockups in Sketch.
Use Invision for clickable prototype, sharing and collaboration.

Goal:

Make the transition from low fidelity to high fidelity as simple, painless, and efficient at possible.

Workflow:

1. Create complex UI in Balsamiq with rich use of symbols.
  2. Import Balsamiq images in to Sketch and stitch together interactive hotspots and links that will dynamically sync to Invision.
  3. As you move further down the process, Balsamiq symbols and move individually into Sketch file making it richer and easier to link.
  4. As you move to high fidelity, you symbol structure and library are already there and now all you do is redraw the symbols with a high fidelity tool and are not starting a new blank drawing to create a large series of screens.

For this flow to work, we need an efficient way to export symbols to images to then import into hi fidelity tool.