Balsamiq Community Discussion

Exporting from Balsamiq 3 so can import into Balsamiq 2.2

I’ve got Balsamiq 3 installed on my Mac, and colleague has created a bmpr project using Balsamiq 3 - which I can open.

However, we need to import the designs into Confluence, for which the Balsamiq plugin is at V2.2.

The problem is version 3 exports in JSON and version 2.2 imports in XML.

Is there a solution to this?

Hi @JamesLavery and thanks for reaching out!

While moving your designs to this older version is possible, it will require some manual steps that are not optimal.

Before going down that route, I wanted to suggest updating the add-on to the latest version instead. Do you think that would be possible on your end? Are you using a recent Confluence version?

This newer version (Balsamiq Wireframes for Confluence Server) uses our BMPR file format and would make the move much easier.

Let us know and we’ll do our best to help either way! :slight_smile:

Hi - unfortunately we’re running an old version of Confluence - V4.2.12! So I don’t think we can upgrade Balsamiq.

So is there a manual process we can follow?

That’s correct, @JamesLavery, our latest add-on version won’t be compatible with this one, unfortunately.

Here are the manual steps required to move a project from Mockups 3 for Desktop to our legacy add-on version:

1. Open the project in Mockups 3 for Desktop and export it to a ZIP file using Project > Export > Project to BMMLs ZIP
  2. Expand the ZIP file to find the BMML files.
  3. For each mockup you want to import, do the following:
    1. Open a BMML in your favorite plain text editor (for example Text Edit on Mac or Notepad on Windows)
    2. Select all the text and copy it to your clipboard (CTRL+C)
    3. Create a new mockup in Mockups for Confluence and use Mockup > Import Mockup XML
    4. Paste (CTRL+V) and hit Import
    5. Fix any broken images by uploading the image from the ZIP (they’ll be in the assets folder)
    6. Symbols are not supported in Mockups for Confluence, so you might have to recreate those as well
    7. Save

We know this is a bit of an arduous process and this is why using the latest version of our add-on makes it much easier.

Please let us know if you need anything else, we’re here to help!

HI Virgin - thank you, that’s just what I needed to know. I’ve tried it on a couple of pages, and it’s worked fine.