External links to other projects?

Does anyone know if session keys expire after a certain amount of time?

It’s just that I’ve linked between one project and another by copying the URL from the launched mockup and pasting that in as an external link on controls on a separate project. The links seem to work at the moment, but I’m not sure if I’ll have to replace the session key each time I want someone to use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Welcome to our forums @AB1984! :slight_smile:

No worries, a mockup URL won’t expire unless your rename or delete it. Please let us know if you need anything else, we’ll be here to help!

Hi @Virgin
Many thanks for the response.

Does this mean, then, that you can link between mockups in different projects? From the guidance I’d been reading it wasn’t possible, but that may have been out of date?

Not exactly @AB1984 because web links do open a new window instead of displaying the link target as if the link was an interactive button.

Also, we usually don’t recommend this method because it can easily lead to a broken link (let’s say a team member renames the target mockup). Instead, I would recommend moving/cloning the target mockup(s) and adding it to your original project.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Mmm, just in case anyone reads this hoping for a solution:

• Web links don’t open a new window/tab in my version of chrome, they open in the same tab (so it appears to be part of the same project)
  • Renaming mockups breaks the links within one project, so it wouldn’t be much different (following renaming, you’d have to update all links anyway).

In relation to the second point there @Virgin, are you aware of any plans to make renaming mockups automatically update any existing links (within the same project)?

Also, I’d be interested in seeing a toggle switch that would allow editing of the underlying XML / BMML of each mockup, any ideas on that?

Ouch, sorry for the snag! I can confirm that renaming mockups from the editor is causing this bug, we’ll fix it!

In the meantime, you can rename mockups from the Project page or Single Mockup page to avoid the issue.

While I agree this could be useful, this probably won’t be implemented because we are moving away from the BMML format in the next major web version (already in private beta). For this reason, the easiest way to achieve this is:

1. Export the Mockup to XML
  2. Open it in a text editor and make your changes
  3. Delete every element in the mockup
  4. Import the XML

More details about the XML option can be found here if needed.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the bug report!