Feature Request: categorize and group mockups

Hi all,

I will admit right off the bat, that I’m not sure if the following functionality has been requested before. If it has, please forgive me for opening a new topic on the same discussion.

Working on a moderately sized project (I guess I’m somewhere around 70 mockups right now), I had the client change his mind on something which affects essentially all mockups. While starting to work on this, I started thinking that it would be useful to be able to categorize the mockups, to get a better overview of where I still need to do rework. Therefore, if it were possible to right-click a mockup and categorize with color or similar (e.g. marking red/yellow/green) I could easily see where work still needs to be done, and where I’m already done.

Further, if there was a feature to group mockups belonging to a section/part of the design, that could help keep the list more easily navigable. My thinking is, that I now have a set of 10-15 mockups relating to how the user could configure his/her profile - this is quite fancy including a scrollbar with clickable top/bottom that moves between the top/bottom of the content. But this consumes a fair chunk of the mockups list - if I could collapse it into a group called “My Profile” it would be a bit easier to navigate the project contents.

Just a couple of ideas - nothing really important but it may help using the great Mockups tool in different contexts with a lot of mockups involved.

Thanks for a great tool :slight_smile:

Br

// Magnus

may you have a look at [IMPLEMENTED] Feature request: organize mockups within a project and add your vote there :slight_smile:

Hi @BLB,

Good news! We implemented this feature about a year ago (in version 3.3) and you can organize your mockups in groups, creating a simple parent/child relationship between them, just by using TAB and SHIFT+TAB.

You’ll find more details on this page, under the Using Mockup Hierarchy section.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you @heringsfilet and @Virgin for answering! Indeed, it seems the feature to organize mockups is already implemented through the parent/child indentation.

Basically, if I create a dummy mockup called “TO BE REWORKED” or something similar, I could make all the mockups needing rework a child of that one. This allows me to keep them separated from the finished ones.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Br

// MS

I like the idea of being able to colour-code completion status

Might be a little too “prototype-y” for Mockups, but it’s an interesting idea. I think it has come up before, but that was a long time ago.

We will talk about it, @ryan. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I’m doing hacks in the name of each mock up to clue me in on how done each page is :slight_smile:

Is there any way to do this in mybalsamiq? Or any plans for such?

Hi @sohie.young,

The hierarchy feature has not made it yet to myBalsamiq, which uses a different version of our editor than the Desktop version for now but good news: our next major web version is just around the corner (already in private beta)! :slight_smile:

It will be native (no more Flash needed), much faster and will bring all the latest features including the way to better organize your mockups within a project. No ETA yet but stay tuned, we’ll keep you all in the loop!

Anything else, we’re here.