Feature Request: Create Label on double-click

Hi Balsamiq,

As a designer,
I want to create Label element and set it to edit mode on double-click within an empty space,
so it will speed up my process.

I really like the magic or CTRL+R, CTRL+T, and CTRL+Y buttons, which allow to create the basic mockup in a seconds. Another possible feature to speed up the process is a quick way to create Labels.

The reasons:

• Labels are used very frequently
  • Labels can be transformed with CTRL+T to variety of elements in an easy and quick way

Inserting a Label with Quick Add requires more efforts, and the place of insertion is far from mouse pointer.

Thank you.

Hey @Alexey_Kolchenko!

Totally get your need for this one. I’ve just added your suggestion to discuss it further with the team. If anyone would find this useful, please add your like or comment on this post.

Thanks for sharing the idea! :slight_smile:

I like the idea but have a few thoughts:

1. Would doubling clicking in a blank area better suit a more generic action? E.g. Add a new element of the same type as the last added element?
  2. Would a new shortcut to create a new labels be more suitable? Perhaps a set of shortcuts to user defined favourite elements?
  3. Please can we keep the shortcut of double clicking outside of a group to navigate up a level in the group hierarchy.

:slight_smile:

Hey @paulshoughton,

Thanks for joining the discussion my friend. :slight_smile:

Those are totally valid concerns and I’ve actually added the suggestion to use Drag+L for creating labels instead (similar to our Drawing basic controls feature). In case we implement this in the future, we’ll make sure to keep the existing workflows available.

Thank you for the great suggestions. Any option which increase speed is good. I forgot about double-click inside group. Drag+L probably fits best.

I agree that would be a useful feature. The one downside with the quick add is that you have to go and get it to put it where you want. I adore the quick add and would be lost without it.

I only recently learned about the drag+R for rectangles which next to my eraser shape are the two shapes I use ALL the time. (Eraser is actually also a rectagle, but with the border removed that I made to speed up “deleting” pieces of my wireframes.)

Hi @Alexey_Kolchenko

This is the process I use to add labels quickly:

1. Position cursor on canvas where I would like to add a label
  2. Press the / key. This gives focus to the Quick Add search box.
  3. Type la (for label)
  4. Press Shift + Enter. This places the label (or any object you search for) where your cursor is positioned.
  5. Fine tune the position/size of your new label.

Try it out a few times and see if it works for you. I often use this in combination with duplicating nearby controls.

Same here, but shouldn’t it be the + key to open the quick add?

Or depend this on localization/OS/…?

Either/or

https://docs.balsamiq.com/desktop/shortcuts/#quick-add

Good to know :slight_smile:

If someone has a problem with a german keyboard:
On a german keyboard the key would be: ÷ (located above the numpad)
The / key on a german keyboard is where the & key is on an english keyboard layout and won’t work.

Hi @Ryan,

Thank you for suggestion, I use this approach sometimes, but I didn’t know Shift+Enter places a control in a cusror position. Really cool feature!

I mostly use the sequence:

1. Drag+R to create a rectangle in place I want
  2. Ctrl+T to call transform dialog
  3. Type L to jump to label
  4. Press Enter to pick it, and Enter to start editing

Still, the issue is when I make UI for non-english language, I need to switch the keyboard additionally to type la. Drag+R and the rest of shortcuts work fine for non-english keyboard layout.

I’ll try your approach, thanks!

Perhaps you can do something like this: if you double-click on control, you can type:

• label position/alignment (e.g. T - for top),
  • label name (e.g. Phone),
  • optional ‘required’ asterisk
  • optional field value (e.g. 312-345-5678)

Also, in the Project Skin section you may offer some global settings:

• label position/alignment (top, left or right)
  • label color