Feature Request: Customer created controls?

Has the idea of customer created controls been considered?

I see that symbols are used to add new reusable UI controls but (it looks like) these can’t be as flexible as the built-in UI controls. For example, the popovers at Mockups To Go look good, but can’t readily be resized or changed without ungrouping and messing around with the individual parts.

In UI Library > iOS, there’s a popover that can have the point positioned in various ways. But if I was after a bit more customisation I would be back to creating controls (symbols) from scratch.

Hi, neeklamy. Currently, combining existing shapes and controls and adding them as symbols is the method we support for customization.

By custom controls are you after the ability to edit or add different shapes to the popover? That’s not something we’re currently supporting. Can you give an example of what you’re trying to create? That may help me visualize your needs a little better.

Different shapes would be a “nice to have”. I was looking to stylise a popover a bit more to my liking, but on reflection, having fewer buttons to twiddle with is largely better in this case.

One control I would like to see an additional setting for is the scroll bars.

It’s great that we can change the position of the scroll thumb, but how about making it resizable? It’s diddly, I could place a roundrect over the scroll thumb, but that seems like a kludge.

Instead I’ve created a new symbol that looks more like what I’m after (top: built in scroll bar, bottom: my new symbol):

It’s okay, but I can’t readily adjust the scroll thumb, its position or size or the overall length of the bar. And it doesn’t match the sketch skin either, it’s just too crisp.

Small aside: I had to “hack” the sizing to get the arrows smaller than 10×10 pixels (I sized up how big the control should be, then doubled the size, positioned the parts, grouped the lot and scaled it down).

Thanks for reflecting on the popover!

The scrollbar thumb size seems like something we should just add in the future. I’ll add your suggestion for this in the story in our issue tracker. Where possible, it makes sense to add properties to existing controls when they get suggested often enough. So keep the suggestions coming!

I’m trying to find a way to import some standard Garrett AI symbols into Balsamiq to use for IA site map diagrams and interaction design - to essentially duplicate Visio’s specialty into a much more intuitive and straightforward program (imo).

These are super simple shapes, many of which can be done inside of Balsamiq - but not all of them. So it would be great to be able to import them as some scalable, vector based format (SVG, EPS, etc) that we could then convert to a Balsamiq Symbol.

However - trying this for a bit, then finding this thread – it looks like Balsamiq doesn’t have this feature. Is there any way around this?

Seems like a pretty obvious capability people would want, its what allows programs like this to be extensible. Thanks.

Hi @vongoh,

Sorry for the hassle with this.

You’re right, we do not support the import of vector based format such as SVG or EPS for now but I added your vote for both in our internal tracker so we can review and consider it for the future.

As always, if others would like to see these features, please let us know (or add your Like/Heart vote above) to help us prioritize it.