Feature Request - PDF export includes alternative views also

Hello Balsamiq Team,

Great product.

May I make a feature request and have the alternative views of wireframes print also? Currently when selecting the Export PDF -> All Pages option, it will only get the main view of each wireframe.

If additional information is required, please do let me know.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for your suggestion. I’ll add it to the list for us to consider. :smile:

excellent, thank you Ben!

That’s a great suggestion - when I export a project to PDF now I need also to export separetely all alternate versions and then merge them with the main file. It takes quite some time.

take care
pat

I’d like to see an option in the new PDF export dialog to choose between printing everything (including alternates), or choosing a specific version based on the alternate name (with “Official” being one choice)

One problem I’ve run into is that sometimes a set of alternates doesn’t exist across all mockups (e.g. because one variant has an interaction element that doesn’t need a secondary view to make clear). Right now, if I have all the same alternates selected I can export them to PDF except that this also includes those mockup that doesn’t have a matching alternate unless I deliberately unselect it. (and then I have to remember which one(s) don’t have an alternate…)

This is a must have.
I just tried to export ‘All pages’ to PDF and alternates were skipped. I have made alternatives to show variants of the same thing and I understand why you would want to only export the main version but not being able to choose any of the alternatives is very frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Something we can do pretty quickly is to list all alternates right below each mockup, and have them selected by default. If you want to not print those, you just uncheck them, just like other mockups. That would work, right?

Maybe (just maybe) we could offer a one-click “deselect all alternates” button somewhere in the future, if we notice that alternates just keep sneaking into the PDFs…

Thoughts?

Peldi,

I do like the select all default option. It helps focus a wide base and covers the big thing: If i am printing this out, i am sharing it with people and want to show all options.

While the one-click “deselect all alternates” sounds cool,personally would not be used in my particular use case, but others may disagree.

Thank you for your attention to detail and the open dialogue.

Kind Regards,
Chris

This would certainly meet my needs. As would having a quick “select all/select none” option.

Only tangentially related in that it deals with alternates, I was thinking that, rather than having an option called “official”, I’d prefer to just have a bunch of alternates with whatever names I choose (perhaps with the first one being called “initial” rather than something random) and being able to specify that one particular alternate out of each set is the “official” alternate (with “initial” being defined as “official” to start with.) It would also be nice if would was possible to indicate that there is no “official” alternate for a given set.

(I’m sure that last bit would be better attached to a different topic, I just don’t have time to figure out which one it is right now. I’ll try to remember to come back and fix that later, though if anyone else thinks this might be useful and can figure out where it would better fit, please feel free to copy my comments over or even create a new topic if it seems appropriate)

Hi everybody,

We shipped today 3.1.3. You can now choose to include alternates to the generated PDF.
You can get it here:
https://balsamiq.com/download/

Here are the complete release notes:
http://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2015/06/23/newcalendar/

Thanks so much for including this in the release. It is a great feature i have been using extensively and hope others find it well suited for their needs.

My take on this is somewhat different. I use alternates for my own design iterations, and have no desire to include them in PDFs to share with others. I’d very much like an option to exclude these by default (especially since it never seems to remember the exact selection I last used when I export a new version and I have to repeat the process each time…)

Hi @Chris_Gatland,

I understand that an “exclude all alternates” option could be very useful in your case.

I’ve added this request to our tracker so we can review and consider it for the future. If others would like to see this feature, please let us know (or add your Like/Heart vote above) to help us prioritize this request.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback on this, that is what we are looking for to always improve your experience using our little tool! :wink:

I’m in the same camp as @Chris_Gatland - I use these for my own internal variants, and would find it useful to have the option to exclude all alternates in my export, rather than finding and de-selecting them one-by-one.

However, the bigger issue I had is I found in the export I did, my links went to the alternate by default instead of the Official version - bug? user error? thanks.

Definitely a bug, @Scott_Harrington. I have filed it and added your vote for an “exclude all” option for alternates on export.

Thanks for your continued input, guys. It’s super helpful for finding stuff like this. :smiley:

One other related issue - if I deselect the alternates, when I got to export again next time I find that both the alternates AND the “official” versions are deselected, so I need to re-select the official versions every time I export.

I noticed this too. It has to do with the way the official version and alternates are linked. We are looking into how we can do this better, and I’m sorry for the frustration it is causing folks in the interim!

Hi @Scott_Harrington,

We just released our latest version (3.1.9) including the fix for the issue with the official version getting deselected in the Export PDF dialog by accident. Also, in exported PDFs, we now properly point links to the official version’s page, even if it has alternates.

Thanks again for your help on this! :wink:

You can get the new version (3.1.9) here:
https://balsamiq.com/download/

And the complete release notes are here:
http://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2015/08/21/fontawesomeeverywhere/

There definitely needs to be a way to create a clean PDF of the official versions only, without having to manually select and deselect individual elements. Why would it be called “official” when the export then includes everything else as well? Please fix, the current state is quite annoying.
An extension to this topic: It would be nice to have a simple way of cleaning all alternatives in one go. The current process of having to go to every page and then right-clicking in the Alternate Version list for every single alternate is quite a lot of work …

Thanks for taking the time to check in on this, @PhilippQF. I’ll give this a nudge.

I’ve also added your suggestion about deleting all alternates easily, and we will talk about what we can do here.