Feature request: Text notation for placeholder text

I’ve found out, that most of the time I waste with figuring out demo texts for my mockups. That’s why I really appreciated the placeholder text (line of text, block of text) you’ve recently introduced (especially the possibility to quickly draw them holding the [T] key).

But using these in conjunction with controls like e.g. the data grid is a pain, as I always have to move around the placeholder texts after making changes to the grid’s column configuration (adding columns, changing widths and so on). Further on I have to group the data grid with all the placeholder texts to keep them together.

It would be great if there would be a notation to produce placeholder text in any text control like the data grid, tree control, checkbox, text input and so on. For example a sequence of – lets say – at least 5 question marks could produce a placeholder text. Adding more question marks could make the placeholder text longer.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Hey @Sven,

That’s a very interesting idea, thanks for sharing it with us today!

We’ve been playing around to try to figure out a way to address this and Florian came up with a nice way to do it so I’d like to share it with you:

Here is the resulting Datagrid, depending on the font you use:

or

Does that work for you? Let us know what you think. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! :slight_smile:

Nice idea! But if I’ve got this right, then I will only have placeholder text in the whole project. What I need instead is normal text (e.g. for column headers, labels, explicit examples) and placeholder text like shown in the following example:

Totally got your point, @Sven. I thought that may be the case but just wanted to give it a try. :slight_smile:

I’ll add your request now in our internal tracker and we’ll discuss it more with the team. As always, if others would like to see this feature, please let us know (or add your Like/Heart vote above) to help us prioritize this request.

I’d really like to have this feature too

I like that idea a lot, Sven. Could we implement it by typing a special character? i.e. for Sven’s menu example above…

[x] Dep 1
[x] Dep 2

[ ] ~~
[ ] ~
[ ] ~~~
[ ] ~~

Any

Use ~ if you need the actual character

Definitely something worth discussing, @Ryan. We will take a look after the big Flash migration is done. :slight_smile: