Feature request - type when nothing selected -> Do something useful!

It occurs to me that there’s an unused, potentially useful keyboard shortcut in Balsamiq

So, when I have nothing selected in the interface, my next task is often one of the following:

• Search for a widget by text search
  • Add text

For both of these actions, my instinct is to just start typing on the keyboard. Currently this is inactive, and the keystrokes are ignored. Wouldn’t it be cool instead if it started searching the library (without having to mouse-click the search box first). It could also offer you the option to select a text box, which would then magically appear with your typed characters already inserted.

Seems like a minor thing, but it’d save me some hassle. Sometimes I actually click the search box looking for a text object, and my brain skips ahead and I find myself typing the text I want in the search box itself!

Hi @Chris_Gatland,

Good to hear from you again.

There is actually an existing keyboard shortcut (/ or +) for sending focus to the Quick Add box. You can then directly type in to look for the needed control.

Regarding adding text controls, we recently implemented in version 3.2 an easy way to add Blocks of Text or Lines of Text controls. You can simply “draw” them by holding the T (block of text) or Y (Line of text) key. Then you only have to double click or press ENTER to edit the text.
More details here if needed: http://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2015/10/01/3-2/

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you’d like to see more than what these options offer already.

Thanks for the great feedback, as always! :smile: