[FIXED] [Bug] edit symbol in mockup craches application

Balsamiq Edit: This has been fixed in version 3.3.9

Hi,

I’m testing Balsamiq out for firm.
And when i was testing it out a had a few crashed = not a good sign.

This crash is reproducible.
Create a symbol with a "block of text"
Drag it on a mockup and double click on it.
Now double click on the "block of text"
Boem! The bars are gone.
Can’t undo the edit in the properties window.
Sometimes if i make a drag on the background it draws squares who stay on the screen.
And i can’t select anything.
Only thing i can do is restart the program.

Kind regards

Diederick

Hi @diederick,

So sorry for the snags! Definitely not the first impression we want you to have. :pensive:

I’ve just reproduced the issue with the Block of Text control (same happens with the Line of Text) and passed it on to the dev team so they can work on fixing this one ASAP.

About this one:

Would you mind detailing on the steps performed when you hit this issue? I can’t seem to reproduce this one for now.

Sorry again for the hassle with these and thanks for reporting it, we’ll get it fixed!

Bugs can happen :wink:
So hopefully the program it self will make up for this.

The only thing i did was double click on the block, then the bars are gone and before i leave i try to typ in it.
Click out of the box try to drag, click on the home icon, drag again out of the symbol and voila you see squares.
In my version at least.

Would you mind taking a screenshot of the issue (or even a screencast if you prefer)? I just want to make sure we don’t miss any other issue here.

If you could send it to us either here or to support@balsamiq.com, that would be great.

Thanks for your help with this!

I do use 2 monitors.
The program runs on my main screen.

added 2 screenshots. One where it doesn’t happen but it still bugs and one where i have the squares.

Forgot to mention that you can see a cross, that’s where my cursor is.
Only happens when i can draw the squares.

Found it @diederick!

We will get it fixed. Sorry about any hassle it has caused you, but thank you for bringing it to our attention. It’s a nasty one.

Once you click into the Block of Text symbol, the editor hits an RTE and everything after that is broken. You have to restart the app to clear the RTE.

Nice!
Gl killing the bug :smiley:

Hi @diederick,

We just released our latest official version (3.3.9) including the fix for this one. We now prevent transforming a control type when overriding a symbol, to avoid this from happening again.

Thanks again for the report! :slightly_smiling:

You can get the new version (3.3.9) here:
https://balsamiq.com/download

And the complete release notes are here:
https://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2016/02/09/pcr-ro/