[FIXED] [BUG] Symbol overrides created when pressing ESC from text editor on symbols

Balsamiq Edit: This has been fixed in version 3.3.11

So this one is a little difficult to describe, so bear with me…I will use the built-in symbol Sample Master Template to explain the issue starting with a new mockup project.

• Create a new symbol library with the Sample Master Template.
  • Create five mockups to match the menu bar (Home, Products, Company, Support, Contact)
  • Go to Symbols page and edit the Sample Master Template -> menu bar. Set the menu bar “Links” to the corresponding mockups (home, products, company, support, contact)
  • Add this symbol to the Home mockup.
  • Edit the menu bar portion of the symbol on the Home mockup screen. Accidentally double-click and go into the text editor for the menu bar. Press ESC to back out of text editing.
  • With the symbol still selected, set the symbol override for “Selection” and set to Home. Exit the symbol overrides by click on the house icon for the override.

At this point, I should only have a “Selection” override for this symbol for the Home mockup. In fact this is what you see while still in the sybmol overrides. However, if you review the symbol overrides after completely exiting from the override, you will now see that there is an override for Links, Selection, and Text.

This issue only occurs (that I have seen) when accidentally going into the text editor and pressing ESC on symbols with “Link” settings. This has been recreated numerous times in version 3.1.9.

Symbol changes not reflected on all mock ups

Hey @russ,

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, it really helped me clearly reproduce the bug. I’m sorry for any hassle this bug has caused you.

We know there is some weirdness in the text entry field when it comes to symbols (weirder still when you use ESC to leave it) and it’s something we are tracking right now. I don’t have an ETA for a fix, but it’s on our radar.

Thank you again for the eloquent report, Russ. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! :smiley:

Terrific! Now that I know about this formerly “undocumented feature” it’s not a big deal to work around. But it sure created some confusion and frustration when I first encounted the issue – especially being a new Mockups user. Thanks for the fast response.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about it. We knew about another case where the text field was weird, but not this one (re: escaping out of it.)

And again, I’m very sorry the confusion and frustration it caused you. We absolutely hate when our software does that to someone.

Hi Brendan,
Was wondering if you had an idea on when this issue would be addressed. I noticed that 3.2.3 has the same behavior.

I’m sorry Russ, I’ll give this one a nudge.

The issue has turned out to be a bit more complex than I initially thought, and we need to talk about the best way to attack it.

Good news – I did some testing with 3.3.9 and it looks like the issue I originally found has been resolved.

Bad news - I found another weird issue when pressing ESC after editing the symbol text at the mockup level (vs. editing at the symbol source). It is very similar to the original, but requires editing the text to cause the problem.

Follow the same steps 1 through 4 from my original post.
For step 5, edit the text for Products and change to Prodqucts then press ESC.
For step 6, exit the symbol

At first glance, it appears the changes to the text were not saved. However, when you back out of the symbol, the changes now appear. Not only that, but the Links, and Text are now set to overrides.

The default action for pressing ESC throughout the application is to revert back to the previous state and ignore any changes. This is not the case for the Symbol text override.

How weird.

If you press escape to exit the symbol, the changes are not saved. You have to click the “Home” breadcrumb.

Thanks Russ. We will get this fixed too! :slight_smile:

Let me know what else you find.

Hi @russ,

We just released our latest official version (3.3.11) including the fix for this one.

Thanks again for your report and help! :slight_smile:

The new version (3.3.11) is available here.
And the complete release notes are here.