[FIXED] Label changes to text when hitting enter

Balsamiq Edit: This has been fixed in version 3.3.9

There’s some new behavior in Mockups 3 that changes the label ui element to a text ui element if you hit ‘enter’ or ‘return’. With other one-line ui controls, hitting enter or return completes them which I think should apply to the label still. It’s an inconvenience having to switch labels back to labels because they were changed to text.

Hi @kemch,

Sorry for the confusion here.

You’re right, we recently added this feature but the Label control will be turned into a text control only if you press CTRL+ENTER which lets you use ENTER to complete/validate the text for the label if needed.

Please let us know if you are seeing any different behavior, we’ll dig deeper!

Ah I see. But CMD+ENTER is how you complete a Text control, a Table, Sitemap, etc. I’d say all controls are or can be completed that way.

Shouldn’t that apply to the Label as well? It seems like pressing ENTER / RETURN would be the better way to convert it to a Text control, since that’s what you’d be pressing to insert a line break into a Text control anyway?

Thanks for the feedback @kemch!

The label can be completed using ENTER just like other single line controls so using it to transform it to a text control might be confusing too.

I added this request in our internal tracker and we’ll think about changing it to another shortcut for the future.

If others would like to see this change, please let us know (or add your Like/Heart vote above) to help us prioritize this request.

I agree. I’ve gone from something that I could do without thinking to something that confuses me every time I do it and requires many extra steps. Every time. Changing object types is great, but I prefer the explicit methods that you’ve included.

Thanks for the nudge on this @hshubin. I will go back to the team and see where we landed on this.

Edit: I spoke too soon (I knew I should have looked first - I had an inkling this was changed). In our beta branch, we have changed it so ALT+ENTER now changes the label to a text input. You can grab the beta here or wait for the next official version of Mockups.

Thanks for checking in on this :slight_smile:

I use CMD+Return to get out of a Comment, Data Grid or Text Area control, so I wind up using it in a Text Input control, too. But that changes it to a Text Area. My preference is to separate editing the text and changing the type of object. As a good UX designer, I know that other people may have different preferences…

CMD+Return should also get you out of the Text Input command in the new version, @hshubin. It should work the same for every control. Let me know if you see any discrepancies.

Oh, good. Maybe I misread the previous comment. I’ll try the beta version.

thanks

Nope, I wasn’t clear at all and I’m sorry about that. We changed it so Return/Enter didn’t convert the Label or Text Input into a paragraph control, it just exits the control now. CMD/CTRL + Return/Enter will exit the control as well. ALT + Return/Enter is what will transform it now.

Hope that makes more sense :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

We just released our latest official version (3.3.9) including the new keyboard shortcut (ALT+ENTER) for switching from Label to Text and from Text Input to Text Area.

Thanks again for the request! :slightly_smiling:

You can get the new version (3.3.9) here:
https://balsamiq.com/download

And the complete release notes are here:
https://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2016/02/09/pcr-ro/