[FIXED] Pressing 'delete' in a text input adds a weird square character instead

Balsamiq Edit: This has been implemented in version 3.4.2

Pressing the ‘delete’ key while editing text adds a weird square character. I have to always use ‘Backspace’. I’m running Chrome/Linux.

You get this is in a lot of the controls if you use the shortcut “CTRL+BACKSPACE”. Very frustrating.

and not just in mybalsamiq, but in the desktop version as well, e.g. when i try to rename mockups…

Hi all!

Sorry for the hassle with this one.

You’re right, different versions are affected, but while the desktop version only shows it when renaming mockups or using the notes sections, myBalsamiq is affected more by this one. I’ll talk to the dev team and see what we can do about it. I’ll keep you all in the loop, thanks for the report!

EDIT: I’ll bring this to our next meeting to see how easy the fix would be. For myBalsamiq, this will be fixed in the next major version we are preparing (going native) along with all the version 3 goodness. :slight_smile:

Do you have a KVM switch by any chance?

I’m seeing it happen on my Ubuntu box (I have a KVM switch for Ubuntu & a Mac Mini), but not my Macbook. Granted, the Macbook only has one delete key, but pressing Fn + delete doesn’t insert the control character like it does on my Ubuntu machine.

Thanks for the followup @Liz . I can confirm it’s weird in Ubuntu as well. :frowning:

We thought we had this fixed in our beta branch, but we did some additional testing this morning and found another instance of it.

We will hunt it down and squash it! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Just to give you an update on this one:

We just released our latest official Desktop version (3.4.2) and the annoying rectangle character shouldn’t appear anymore when using Delete and CTRL+Delete. :slight_smile:
Thank you all for the reports!

The new version (3.4.2) is available here.
And the complete release notes are here if needed.

As I mentioned before, this will also be fixed in the next major release of our web version (going native).