Balsamiq Community Discussion

Help us design the "Check for Updates" feature!

Hello friends of Balsamiq! We need your help with a new feature we’re designing. The feature is called “Automatic Check for Updates in Balsamiq Wireframes for Desktop”. Basically it’s the ability of our Windows and Mac apps to periodically check with our servers to see if there’s an updated version of the app. Right now this check is only done manually, by visiting our website

We have 5 questions for you!

1. Is this a feature you’d be interested in using yourself?

2. Are there any limitations in your organization about this kind of features? In other words, will your IT department block this for some reason? If so, do you know why?

3. Would you expect this feature to be opt-in or opt-out? In other words, should the default be that it automatically checks with our servers, or would you want to turn this on manually?

4. We might be able to also have an option that automatically downloads and installs a new version in the background. Is this something you’d be interested in using? In this option, you would only learn about what’s new AFTER installing the new version.

5. We are considering having two tracks for updates, a “Stable Releases” track (the default), and an “Insider Track” (which would still be tested and supported) for those of you who want to live on the fast lane. This would allow us to test new things with this group, before bringing them to everyone else. Is this something you’d be interested in using?

That’s it!

Your answers to the questions above will greatly help us with this feature’s design. Thanks so much!

Hi Peldi
1 - this would be a great feature, would definitely use it
2 - no limitations
3 - I would expect it to “just check” and tell me if there was an update, maybe on opening. And then for me to choose whether I want to install it - maybe an update notification in the toolbar
4 - would prefer to choose myself when (and if) to download (eg, if I am just about to start a time critical set of mockups, I don’t want to be forced into an upgrade)
5 - happy to be an earlier tester

Cheers

(Using a Google form for this input would make it easier for you good guys!)

1. Absolutely. Always surprised that this was not available.
  2. No limitations
  3. Check and ask if new
  4. Manual OK
  5. Stable

:slight_smile:

1. Is this a feature you’d be interested in using yourself?
    Yes
  2. Are there any limitations in your organization about this kind of features? In other words, will your IT department block this for some reason? If so, do you know why?
    No limitations
  3. Would you expect this feature to be opt-in or opt-out? In other words, should the default be that it automatically checks with our servers, or would you want to turn this on manually?
    Opt-in
  4. We might be able to also have an option that automatically downloads and installs a new version in the background. Is this something you’d be interested in using? In this option, you would only learn about what’s new AFTER installing the new version.
    I’d prefer manual control
  5. We are considering having two tracks for updates, a “Stable Releases” track (the default), and an “Insider Track” (which would still be tested and supported) for those of you who want to live on the fast lane. This would allow us to test new things with this group, before bringing them to everyone else. Is this something you’d be interested in using?
    Yes