Balsamiq Community Discussion

Horizontal scroll doesn't work after update to Mac version: 3.5.17 - 02/12/2019

On Mac, when I two finger scroll horizontally on the mockup-design area, it does nothing. Shift+scroll still works. This worked before I updated last week.

Possibly related: [IMPLEMENTED] Horizontal scroll wheel support

Hi @Alan_Leonard,

Thanks for the post. To cut a long story short, there is an issue with horizontal scrolling at the latest version of Adobe Air (the underlying framework we use for the desktop app.)

The easiest way to work around this issue is to go back to Mockups 3 version 3.5.15.

It’s not ideal but it’s issues like this which are a big driver behind our current effort to replace Mockups 3 with new, native versions of the desktop apps. That work is progressing well and will solve these Air-related problems once and for all.

If you’d like to read some lengthier background, please see: Balsamiq does not support OSX horizontal scrolling

Get back to me with any questions, ok?

I have had the same problem. Looking forward to the Native Mac client that will hopefully solve this problem. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @alasdair – will there be a fix for this soon? I just bought the desktop client and am disappointed a basic gesture like this isn’t supported.

Hi @Kevin_McDonald and sorry for the hassle.

As Alasdair mentioned above, a quick way to work around this issue is to go back to Mockups 3 version 3.5.15 where horizontal scrolling works fine.

The good news is that the issue doesn’t affect our upcoming major version (native) that is already in beta. If you’d like to try it out, you find the instructions for joining on this page.

Any questions, we’re here!

Thank you @Virgin! I just downloaded the new version and upgraded via my old license. Appreciate the help, and looking forward to using the new update! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @alasdair,
facing the same problem since updating to 3.5.17, so I’d like to go back to 3.5.15 as you recommendet (besides looking forward to the new version).
Unfortunately all the links to the build acrchives do not work - error: “NoSuchKeyThe specified key does not exist.”
Could you please provide a valid link for the 3.5.15 version? This would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @barbarago,

You should be able to find working links to earlier versions here: https://balsamiq.com/wireframes/desktop/archives/?prefix=mockups-desktop/3.5/

And 3.5.15 specifically here: https://build_archives.s3.amazonaws.com/mockups-desktop/3.5/Balsamiq_Mockups_3.5.15.dmg

1 Like

Thanks @alasdair!

1 Like

Hi @alasdair, just want to note that the link supplied seems to have broke again. I see Mockup 3.5.15 for Mac here: https://balsamiq.com/wireframes/desktop/archives/?prefix=obsolete/mockups-desktop/3.5/

I also want to note that horizontal scrolling still does not work. Even in 3.5.15.

I love Balsamiq but without horizontal scrolling, I cannot navigate my BMPR files and find the product to be nearly unusable.

Do you have a different recommendation on which minor version of Balsamiq 3 I should use? Thanks.

Hi @fluffhead and sorry for the hassle with this one.

I’ve just tested version 3.5.15 and I can confirm that horizontal scrolling works fine on my end, using a Magic Mouse 2. What type of mouse/trackpad are you using?

On a side note, pressing SHIFT while scrolling vertically should also allow you to scroll horizontally if needed.

We’ll do our best to help!

@virgin I am using an external keyboard and bluetooth mouse.

It is a Macally Ultra Slim USB Wired Computer Keyboard and Logitech M705 mouse (1-D scroll). Their behavior is expected in all other applications.

My goal is to use the SHIFT + scroll wheel to accomplish horizontal scroll in Balsamiq. I can confirm again that this does not work on my end in v3.5.15 or v3.5.17.

Hi @fluffhead and thanks for sharing more details.

I could indeed reproduce it with a third party mouse on my end and we suspect that it has to do with the latest macOS not playing well with Adobe Air (that powers Mockups 3 for Desktop).

Would you mind sending us an email to support@balsamiq.com so we can move the conversation there? We’d love to ask some more specific questions and see if we can find a solution for you.

Thanks!