How to create new symbols in existing library

Hi All,

I’ve created a symbol library. I created one symbol in it and added it to a mockup. I can edit it by selecting an instance of it in a mockup and using the Edit Source button to get to the library. I can’t figure out how to do the following:

• Create a second symbol in the library. If I open the library and add more elements and group and name them, the one symbol already in the library is updated. If I create he symbol as a group in a mockup and use Convert to Symbol, the symbol is added to a generic library I don’t want it in instead of my being able to choose one of the project libraries.
  • Move a symbol to another library. If I cut and paste out of the generic symbol library symbols are put in using Convert to Symbol, it is added as a group and again becomes part of the one symbol already in the target library.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. I like the idea of the symbols but the proper use patterns are escaping me.

Hey @drk!

Sorry for the trouble here. Symbols in myBalsamiq are more complicated than we would like, and we are working on make that better.

I wonder if scheduling a time to do a screensharing session, over Skype, Google Hangouts, or whatever software you prefer, would help here. If you want to shoot us an email at support@balsamiq.com, we can get something scheduled ASAP.

Let me know if you would like to do that :slight_smile:

Hi Brendan,

I’d like to know if I could set up something too.

I am able to create more than one symbol library, but I can’t create a symbol into anything but the default “symbols” library. If I cut and paste into the new library, the mockup says it can’t be found.

Thanks!

Best,
Phillip

Hey Phillip!

Why don’t you shoot me an email at support@balsamiq.com, and we will see if we can figure out what’s happening. I have a pretty good idea, but it might be easier to hop into your account to demonstrate.

Virgin and I are here most of the day, so no rush on that email. Whenever you have a moment :slight_smile:

Brendan was helpful in explaining the basics:

• If you open the library directly, you can select an existing symbol, which will show as a group. To actually edit the existing symbol you need to double-click it to give focus to only that group/symbol, and take any other symbols in the library out of the equation.
  • If you want to close a symbol you are editing, there is a breadcrumb trail in the lower right that shows a house icon (“Home”) and the name of the current symbol. Click the house icon.
  • To add a new symbol, create a new item in the library. Immediately make it a group (weird because it is just one element) and name it; this makes it a symbol automatically. Then double-click it to open the new symbol in edit mode and add new elements.

To add on this, you can make a symbol if you are in the symbol library as well.

Think of the symbol library as just another mockup. But now, when you make and name a group, it will be a symbol in all your other mockups (you don’t need to convert it to a symbol in the symbol library.)

Thanks for the assist @drk. You are better at explaining this than I am :stuck_out_tongue: