Balsamiq Community Discussion

How to migrate from Desktop BMML to Confluence BMPR format?

I have some old BMMLs in version 2 of the desktop application and am struggling to import these old BMMLs into Confluence Balsamiq Wireframes.

The Confluence version doesn’t seem to allow importing the output of a Ctrl-E export from the desktop version and also doesn’t seem to offer a possibility to import BMMLs directly either.

Is there any other way please ?

Hey Martin,

If you have a copy of Balsamiq Mockups for Desktop 3, you can convert the files by dragging the BMMLs into a blank project. Then, you can save the project using Project > Save As, and upload it to Confluence.

If you’d prefer, you can email us the BMML files, and we can create the project for you.

Let me know how you’d like to move forward, and we will help however we can.

Hello Brendan,

I’m using Balsamiq in a financial corporate environment…
which means I have no way to install version 3 of the desktop app (not even as a trial…) and I can’t send the BMMLs out of the corporate environment because the data loss prevention software will kick in and remove them as it will view my action as a potential intellectual property leakage (actually it will also send an alert to the relevant department here and I have experienced colleagues being asked to leave the company for suspected intellectual property theft for similar kinds of transgressions).

So I’m afraid I can’t use either of the two proposals you offer - do I have any other options open to me ?

Ugh, I wish I did, Martin.

Can you get approval to install Mockups 3 for Desktop? If it’s possible, can you check on that? I will talk to the dev team and see if there are any other options we can offer from our side. I don’t think there will be, but sometimes they can cook something up.

They are in the EU, so we would have an answer for you in the morning.

Sorry this is such a pain, my friend. Let us know if you can get permission for Mockups 3, and I will see if there is anything that can be done from our side.

Oh dear, that’s rather unfortunate.
My company has around 30’000+ employees and our boxes are completely locked down for various reasons (build integrity, DLP, etc.). Getting new software entails a long-winded process of vetting and testing before it is packaged and released for installation through the automated software distribution channels.
So my chances of getting the desktop version packaged are at best slim to non-existant.

It’s a great pity the Confluence version doesn’t offer the possibility to import the old Ctrl-E XML format and it seems a little strange that it also doesn’t offer the BMML import functionality otherwise offered in the desktop version.

Hope your dev guys can therefore pull some special magic out of their hats :slightly_smiling_face:.

Depending on your upgrade path, Balsamiq Wireframes for Confluence would have converted any BMML files you opened. If your team migrated to Atlassian Cloud, however, that upgrade was not available.

Are you on Confluence Server?

Not sure…
Does the attached version information help you at all ?

Looks like it is using Confluence Server (you can tell for sure if the URL of your server isn’t associated with Atlassian). It also looks like you’re using an old version of the app (I think it may be the beta version, but I’m not 100%) sure.

Either way, that version should convert the BMML files before opening them. Do you get any type of conversion prompt on pages with .bmml files?