If inspector Position or Size X/Y fields are selected, the field should be removed when switching between mockups, but are NOT

Balsamiq_Mockups_3.999.481

Cut and paste position between mockups requires an ADDITIONAL click to re-select the original object so that the inspector panel updates to the selected object in the current mockup.

Essentially, the problem is that WHEN YOU HAVE POSITION or SIZE selected in the inspector panel, the inspector panel does NOT updates when switching between mockups.

TO REPRODUCE:

1. Have at least two mockups (A, B) in a project
  2. Select object in mockup A, notice the position in the inspector panel
  3. Go to mockup B, and select an object, copy the X position of the object
  4. Go to mockup A, and paste the position into the inspector panel. Noticed that the inspector panel is still showing the info from the selected mockup B, even though you are viewing mockup A.

Better yet, there should be a easier way to cut and paste or drag and drop the current position/size/format of an object to another object in the project. At minimum, have position and size as single field, e.g. “X, Y” or “width, height” so that users can cut and paste size and position in a SINGLE OPERATION, instead of TWO.

Related posting:
http://forums.balsamiq.com/t/copy-paste-size-or-position-x-y-in-one-operation/304

Thank you

Interesting. That’s perhaps the best description of a use case for which the single dimension/position input was a more suitable control. This is a rather uncommon usage I would guess. with the exception of power users like yourself.

I think we could perhaps consider a shortcut, like right-click the inspector to show context menu to copy both position/size from object x, and then right click on inspector of object y to paste position/size. Something like that may help with your case while keeping the more obvious separation of fields that we went for.

Can you have someone look into the original problem I mention in the post? Specifically …

WHEN YOU HAVE POSITION or SIZE selected in the inspector panel, the inspector panel does NOT updates when switching between mockups.

Command-C with nothing selected clears the cut buffer (aka clipboard)

Ah, sorry. I didn’t quite understand what you described.

So the bug is that the position input from the other Mockup stays in focus when switching Mockups. I’ll write this one up. Thanks for bringing it up again. Sorry for missing the point.

Version 3.1.3 still has this bug.

I have updated the title to be more clear, “If inspector Position or Size X/Y fields are selected, the fields should be removed when switching between mockups, but are NOT.”

TO REPRODUCE:

1. select an object
  2. click in the Inspector > Position > X text field
  3. switch to another mockup
  4. notice the X text field from the PREVIOUS mockup appears in the OTHER mockup’s inspector!!

Hi, Michael. The bug report is still in the queue, but some other higher priority bugs are ahead of it. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the update. Can you update the bug report TITLE and STEPS TO REPRODUCE with the newer SIMPLER version (see below), so the bug is more clear to the developer?

TITLE: If inspector Position or Size X/Y fields are selected, the field should be removed when switching between mockups, but are NOT

TO REPRODUCE:

1. select an object
  2. click in the Inspector > Position > X text field
  3. switch to another mockup
  4. notice the X text field from the PREVIOUS mockup appears in the OTHER mockup’s inspector!!

Thanks,
Michael

Hi, Michael. Thanks. The bug report is already in the queue with steps to reproduce it. We’ll get to it. Thanks for your patience.

Hi @Michael_Yee

Thanks again for the bug report. We fixed the issue in 3.1.5.

You can get the new version (3.1.5) here:
https://balsamiq.com/download/

And the complete release notes are here:
http://blogs.balsamiq.com/product/2015/07/08/otherassets/