Balsamiq Community Discussion

[IMPLEMENTED] Balsamiq does not support OSX horizontal scrolling

Balsamiq Edit: This has been implemented in version 3.3.10

Horizontal scrolling can be activated in OSX by using SHIFT-Scroll wheel. Balsamiqs does not support this type of scrolling.

Thanks for the feedback @Colin_Heics. I’ll add the request to our tracker for our development team to look at this issue.

Hi @Colin_Heics ,

We just released our latest official version (3.3.11). Just hold SHIFT and scroll up and down, and we’ll interpret it as horizontal scrolling.

Thanks again for the suggestion! :slight_smile:

The new version (3.3.11) is available here.
And the complete release notes are here.

I don’t recall having this issue before I just updated, but how is it possible that so many other native apps can support 2-dimensional scrolling with two-finger drag on a touchpad but Balsamiq cannot? Since this is two years old I’m guessing it was fixed, but it’s back if so.

Sorry again, @Matt_Laurence. Mockups 3 for Desktop isn’t actually a native app (which is part of the problem), it’s built on top of the Adobe Flex framework. Their most recent update is what broke horizontal scrolling, and we are waiting for them to fix that.

The next generation of our desktop app will be completely native, which should solve this issue.

Horizontal scroll with Shift seems to be broken in 3.5.16

Hi @Colin_Heics,

Thanks for the post. We’re aware of an issue here. To try to keep a long story short, we recently released 3.5.16 which contained an update to the underlying framework (Adobe Air). We didn’t make any changes with regard to scrolling so we’re assume Adobe made some scrolling ‘improvements’.

There are a couple of simple workarounds which, hopefully, will work for you:

We know this is not ideal but we’re currently working on new, native versions of the desktop apps which should resolve this - and other Air-related issues - once and for all.

Related reading: Balsamiq 3.5.16 - 08-06-18 - Magic Mouse Horizontal Scroll - Not working for me

Get back to me if you have any other questions.

Just to be clear, horizontal scrolling with an external mouse scroll wheel is broken.

Holding shift and vertically swiping on the MacBook touchpad still scrolls horizontally.

Thanks @Colin_Heics - if you install version 3.5.15 is the feature still broken?

Hi there, I’m using Balsamiq Version 3.5.16 on MacOS 10.14, and it still doesn’t work. :frowning:

This makes working with Balsamiq such a pain :sob:

When will this be finally fixed? It is an issue since 2015. :scream:

It is especially painful for Mac Users when you have your Dock at the bottom of the screen. The scrollbar is that tiny and thus hard to reach. If I move my mouse to the bottom, the Dock appears and covers the scrollbar. :man_facepalming:

Sorry for the trouble with this, @JoshuaSchaer. Shift+Scroll was working fine until we updated the Adobe Air version, as Alasdair mentioned here:

We’re entering the beta phase for our new native Desktop app (where you can horizontally scroll) and I’ll be happy to add you to the list if you’d like to give it a try. It’s been a huge project for our team and we can wait for everyone to try it out!

Hi @Virgin, thanks for your reply. Yes please, add me to the list. Will my projects be more or less compatible with the new native Desktop App?

You’re on the list, Joshua! Your projects will indeed be compatible since we’re using the same file format in the new version. :slight_smile:

Horizontal scrolling works with Balsamiq Version 3.5.15 without having to hold down Shift. :exploding_head:

Sounds like you’re using a trackpad or Magic mouse then, even better! :slight_smile: