Balsamiq Community Discussion

iPad Container - Vertical submenu over an horizontal top menu

I am wondering how can I design something similair to what is displayed in the current page when a user selects the initial of a username, so like a vertical submenu coming from an horizontal menu. The submenu must contain items that have links to other wireframes…

Any answer here please ?

Sorry @simple45, we try not to work on the weekend if we can help it. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure if you meant to include an image or not, but it sounds like you’re looking to have an autocomplete option for when folks are typing a username. Is that right?

If so, you could just use a menu control, which allows linking. You can populate the menu with usernames like this:

Is that what you’re looking for?

This is not my question.

My question is about how to design a sub-menu that a user will call from an icon located on a top horizontal menu

• The submenu should appear only when clicking on this icon.
  • The submenu will contain options, each option will link to a separate wireframe.

Ahh, that makes more sense @simple45.

For this, you will need two nearly identical wireframes - let’s call them Wireframe A and Wireframe B.

On Wireframe A, select the icon on the horizontal menu, and link it to Wireframe B.

On Wireframe B, place a menu control below the icon with the options (and links) you wanted to use. You can also select the icon and have it link to Wireframe A to close the loop.

Should look something like this project (I didn’t use an icon, but you can do that): Demo for Simple45.bmpr (76 KB)

The way you are explaining it, I will have to create a wireframe for each submenu option related to each menu option??
And for sure my wireframes will change over time, then I will have to replicate this change everywhere, every time?
For me, this is not a solution :slight_smile:

That’s correct, @simple45. Assuming I’m understanding your intention correctly.

Because we aren’t a prototyping app, we don’t allow for much interactivity of elements. We focus on speed and simplicity, and leave the interactivity to higher-fidelity prototyping applications.

You can, of course, fake the interactivity with linking. But, as you have noticed, it makes for a lot more work.

I’m sorry about that, my friend.

1 Like