Linking alternate screens

Ok,
This issue has gotten some attention but outright saying “We do not plan on linking to Alternates” is just incomprehensible. What is the point of alternate screens if I can’t link one to another to show the alternate flow being suggested?

What am I supposed to do, create another project just to show this alternate flow?

Please tell me you are reconsidering this and/or give me a solution I can use now.

Mike P.

I’m sorry that this has been frustrating for you, @Michael_Paparo - that is definitely not our intention.

When we said we didn’t have plans to add this feature, it was because we thought that being able to duplicate an alternate as a new mockup would serve a similar purpose. We have been building projects like that, and we move the duplicated alternates out of the main project hierarchy, so they don’t get in the way.

That being said, I do understand that that is more steps than simply linking directly to an alternate, and this is a feature we can look at again. We are in the process of a big rewrite for the desktop app, so we probably won’t be able to look at features like this until later in 2018, but we will take another look and see if it’s something we want to do.

I’m sorry again for the hassle this has caused you, Michael. Let me know if you have any questions about the workaround. I want to make sure that you have a solution to this, even if it’s a couple more steps.

This issue has been bouncing back and forth since 2015, according to the posts. It seems to me that there is a HUGE demand for this functionality but you say maybe in LATE 2018 you’ll address it again!

I think I can say with confidence that this issue will become a large bruise on the skin of your reputation.

Mike P.

I wish I had different news for you, Michael. I can tell how important this is to you.

In the interest of full disclosure, I can tell you that the linking to alternate feature has ~20 requests (assuming we haven’t missed any). That’s more than most of our feature requests, but it’s not in the top 10 of our feature requests. Things like Find and Replace, Spell check, Icon support in the Data Grid, are much higher on the list.

We look at everything in the top 20 pretty regularly. We evaluate whether or not it fits with the tool, if it’s possible to build, etc., and then we pick features to implement. The process then repeats.

Because we are in the middle of rewriting the app from scratch (to bring all the features we added in Balsamiq Cloud), we haven’t had an opportunity to do any feature passes in a little bit. Luckily, with Cloud’s launch issues nearly all fixed, we are going to start looking at features again.

Unfortunately, any features we add to Cloud won’t make it to Desktop until the rewrite is done, which probably won’t be until the 2nd half of 2018. We are working as fast as we can, but we are a relatively small dev team, and this project is huge.

I understand that this situation is frustrating, Michael, and for that, I apologize. I have updated the story for this with a link to your comments.

@Michael_Paparo I used to think that this would be handy, but I have followed the tip of using tab to set the pages as children that are part of a group under the parent and find this is better for me - I only now use alternates for old versions that I don’t want to trash yet, but using a copy and linking to that works perfectly and you can access them easier than alternates, together with being able to hide them for easier navigation