Mockups 4, when is it coming?


#1

I’m tempted to buy Mockups for Desktop 3, but it’s quite a lot of money for me, and I see that the preview releases on https://balsamiq.com/download/next/ mention a 3.999.x release, I’m not sure if that’s a dummy version number or if it’s legit.

I see that licences cover the minor version 3.x updates only, so if 4.x is about to be released, I’d rather wait for that so I at least get the support through to 4.999.xxx, by then we should have the hover-boards and self drying jackets Back to the Future promised us and I’ll be a billionaire able to buy 5.x with the coins found down the back of my sofa.

So, is Mockups 4 about to be released? Is there an approximate date or roadmap?


#2

Hi @gingerCodeNinja,

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

While going native (yes! next version of Mockups won’t be using Adobe Air/Flash) is our main focus right now, we don’t have any date to share yet for the release (beta versions numbers are not an indicator). We did share some elements of our roadmap here and we hope to have a private beta of our native web product in the next few months.

Be sure that we will share more news about it as soon as possible, so keep an eye on this page!

Also, I wanted to share that link with you in case you qualify for our Free program. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:


#3

@Virgin, Any news for version 4?


#4

private beta has started, looks very promising :slight_smile:


#5

Hi @brunopacola and thanks for checking on this. :slight_smile:

As @heringsfilet mentioned, we’ve started the private beta for our native web version and we’re working on making it as smooth as possible. No ETA yet but once we will launch the official release, the other products will follow that lead. Can’t wait to share more news about it!


#6

Really???

Excellent news!

I have been waiting for this for a long time already!

If possible, I would like to participate in the private beta. You have my e-mail address here.

Look this:

https://twitter.com/bpacola/status/589160508995067904 (2015)

https://twitter.com/balsamiq/status/467445314270404608 (2014)


#7

Sure thing @brunopacola. We’ll keep you in the loop when a Desktop version will be beta-ready! :slight_smile:


#8

Hi @Virgin, please also keep me in the loop for the desktop beta version, thanks :slight_smile:


#9

Will do @Vaclav_Kocian! Have a great day :slight_smile:


#10

Hi, so back to the original question. If I buy v3 today, will I automatically get the v4 upgrade?


#11

Hi @Adam_Clinckett and thanks for joining our forums! :slight_smile:

While minor version updates are free, major version ones will have an additional cost. That being said, you will be able to continue to use version 3 if you don’t wish to purchase a major version update.

As we mentioned here, we’ll try to give existing customers a discount for updating to the latest version but we don’t have all the details finalized yet.

Any other questions, we’re here!


#12

Ok I bought v3. I think it would be a little unfair if you release v4 within the next few weeks though. There’s no mention of it though on your site, however, it does look like you’ve been talking about it for 6+ months.


#13

We’ll be working on the desktop version of v4 after we release the web version, so we’re more than a few weeks out. I wish we had more details to share now, but when we do, you will find it here.

When the time comes, we will try to make the transition as easy and fair as we can.

Happy Wireframing! :slight_smile:


#14

Could I suggest adding a free upgrade to 4 at this point? If not specifically state the discount policy for users buying 3. I would buy the product today with an upgrade path, but otherwise it seems too late to spend the money - this upgrade conversation is almost 6 months old. Thanks!


#15

Are updates for Mockups 3 for Desktop Free?
Thanks for your suggestion, @RasFred. We’re still working on our native web editor - Balsamiq Cloud - which hasn’t officially launched yet. Major version updates for Desktop will likely have some type of cost, and without giving you a hard timeline, I can tell you it won’t be released this year.

As Virgin suggested, keep an eye on our blogs for product announcements.

For any licensing questions, feel free to reach us directly at sales@balsamiq.com.

Cheers!


#16

Hi!

New year! New Mockups coming this year?

=)


#17

Hi @brunopacola and happy new year to you! :fireworks:

That’s the hope for our new Desktop versions, indeed, as detailed here.

In the meantime, you may want to try out our new web version, Balsamiq Cloud, that is powered by our new and native editor.

See more details about the new features on this page.

Let us know if you have any questions! :slight_smile:


#18

hello there!

I just come back to Balsamiq after some quite period on it.

I have the Mac desktop version 3 but my wish would be to once I start a project (website design) to continue my design on my iPad.

So what would be your suggestion for that Balsamiq Cloud for instance? or Google Drive plugin?

And what about version 4 of your desktop version would it be at some point connected to your Balsamiq Cloud or to Google Drive plugin?

thanks for your answer

Bkantique


#19

Hi @bkantique and thanks for getting in touch.

While our new web app, Balsamiq Cloud (or Google Drive plugin that uses the same new native editor), is not optimized for use on mobile devices, our plans include a dedicated mobile version.

No ETA yet but I’ll be happy to add you to the waiting list for testing the beta version (when it will be ready) if you’d like.

Regarding the new Desktop versions, we’re already working on it (see details here) and hope to have it ready somewhere this year! Having it connected to Balsamiq Cloud is something we’re investigating indeed.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:


#20

OK thanks Virgin for your reply

Then if I understood well my best option at the moment is to continue with my desktop version 3 only until optimization of your cloud version or the coming of your mobile version.

No need for me cloud or google drive.

Best regards
Bruno