I have files on shared network (not cloud) drives. There’s a Balsamiq file that multiple people have to edit. The problem comes when person A has the file open, then person B makes edits:
- There’s no indication that person A has the file open, so
- Person B makes edits and saves them (in place on the shared drive), but
- Person B re-opens the file later and discovers that her changes have been lost
First, is this the expected behavior?
Second, how do people deal with this problem of ensuring that work isn’t lost when the file is open by someone else?
- Is there some way to tell that the file is open by someone else?
- Have people used any file management systems, like SharePoint or Confluence, to avoid this issue? (We don’t have Balsamiq for Jira or Confluence, but could pitch buying it to our management if it solves problems such as this.)
Appreciate any suggestions–it’s very frustrating to see that changes I made a week ago have been lost!