Options for translating mockups

Hi Balsamiq team,

I am currently evaluating Mockup 3 and, among other things, I am interested in whether and how the mockups could be translated into other languages. In this context, I have two questions:

• Apparently the file format changed with this release from an XML-based format to a binary format. However, the XML-based format is still available as an export format. Will you continue to support this?
  • Is there a way to mirror mockups for right-to-left languages?

Thank you for your help

Susanne

Hey @SusanneM :slight_smile:

Right now, the text controls will support right-to-left text, and this is something we want to expand on in the future. We will look at this more once we roll out the native (non-Adobe Air) version of the app.

We don’t have any plans to discontinue Mockups 3’s ability to export to BMML (the Mockups 2 XML wireframe file). You can also export to JSON, if that is helpful to you.

Don’t hesitate to keep the questions coming, Susanne. We want to help you and your team get set up!

Hi @Brendan,

I would like to import my BMML files into a CAT tool.
It was quite easy to define a filter that extracts translatable text.
However, this gives me strings like this one:

Doxis4%20winCube%2C%20Suchdialoge%2C%20Ablageumgebungen%2C%20Postk%F6rbe%2C%20Ablage%2C%20Dokument

These strings will have to be URL-decoded before translation (and re-encoded again later on).
My tests indicate, that I need to do this assuming the format is “text/xml; charset=iso-8859-1”.

Can you confirm this?

Thanks a lot for your help

Susanne

I cheated and asked someone smarter than me, but they confirmed that this is the case. :slight_smile:

If you are looking for a more friendly name for the character set, it is latin-1.

Let me know if that works!