PDF export does not work for one project

I am trying to export a confluence project to PDF which does not work. When I try to export directly to confluence it gets stuck on the “Exporting…” loading bar, when I try direct download Firefox gives me a warning that the page is slowing down my browser, I then wait and nothing happens.
Console says (when I export to confluence, I have not checked download) “Tasks: finished task ‘Export to PDF’, ‘task-79’”.

Background for this project: it was a design that I made and copied to another confluence page for a co-worker. He made a completely different design but needed the project as a template. If I copy the bmpr-file to another confluence page the same bug occurs. Exporting to PDF works for all other balsamiq projects I tested in our confluence.

Do you have any idea how I can solve this?

Hrm, that’s very strange @bhaering. I’m sorry about that.

While I’m not convinced it’s an issue, would you mind trying the export in a private browsing window. This will tell us if it’s a browser issue.

Also, seeing a screenshot of your browser’s console after trying to export the PDF may also shed some light on what’s happening.

Let’s start there and see if we can track this down easily. :slight_smile:

Exporting to download works in a private window.

Exporting to confluence does not work, a bad gateway error shows up in the UI. That is weird, other projects I tried do not show this error even though it is the same confluence system.

Update: Another project from a coworker that was copied won’t let me export (even in private mode). The console logs an error that says “uncaught exception: out of memory”.

Hmm. And out of memory error?

How large are the projects? Can you look at the page attachments and check the size of the .bmpr file? We have seen out of memory errors before, but only with very large files.

The file is about 50 MB large.

Thanks for sharing more details, @bhaering. It sounds like the file size could be causing this error.

Would it be possible to share the related BMPR file with us so that we can try to reproduce the issue here? We will keep your data strictly confidential and only long enough to try to debug your issue.

Sorry, unfortunately I can’t share that with you.
I can report that I was able to export as PDF by selecting only some of the screens and later merging all the PDFs into one. The final PDF had a size of 500 MB since there are a lot of pictures in it. Since this is always the same one picture as a background will it help if the picture is used as a symbol and linked in every screen instead of being pasted every time? The project was done by a new balsamiq, I don’t think he used symbols.

That sounds like a very heavy PDF file indeed.

The best way to mitigate this issue would be to downsize the image before replacing it in the Balsamiq project.

This should help to reduce the project’s size but you can find more steps that might worth a try on this page.

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you need more assistance with this one.

Thank you for your help. It looks like the design will most likely be abandoned so I hope this issue is resolved now anyway.