Previous projects not opened when quitting and restarting app

Continuing the discussion from General Impressions of B3 Beta:

@heringsfilet and @NeilMerton sorry for the trouble! I’m starting a new thread so we can figure this out in more detail. Let’s see if we can figure out if we are doing any different than might cause the different behavior. Here are the steps I follow:

1. Open a project and do some work on it
  2. Create a new project even and change some things, but don’t save it
  3. Quit the app with +Q (I’m on a Mac)
  4. Launch the app again

Both the saved project I worked on in step 1, and the new project I created in step 2 are opened. I’m using 3.0.2.

Could you let me know if you are doing something different? Maybe post some screenshots of what’s happening for you? Sorry again for the hassle! I’m sure we’ll get this figured out—with your help! Thanks a ton.

Here are my steps:

1. Open a project “A” and do some work on it
  2. Quit the app with the icon “X” (I’m on Win8)
  3. Launch the app again

The app launches a blank new project. Project A is in the recent projects but not opened by default.

Here’s my steps (and OS details)

1. Open B3 by clicking the icon I’ve pinned to my Taskbar - this opens a ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’
  2. Click on ‘Project’ > ‘Open Recent Project’ > click on the required project
  3. Required project opens, ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’ still remains open
  4. Close ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’ by going to ‘Project’ > ‘Quit’
  5. For some reason, both projects close
  6. Open B3 (see Step 1)
  7. For some reason, both projects open!
  8. Close ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’ by clicking the ‘x’
  9. ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’ closes, previously opened project remains open
  10. Make a change in previously opened project
  11. Close previously opened project by going to ‘Project’ > ‘Quit’
  12. Open B3 (see Step 1)
  13. Previously opened project now opens instead of ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’, hoo-rah!
  14. Close previously opened project by going to ‘Project’ > ‘Quit’
  15. Open B3 (see Step 1)
  16. Previously opened project now opens instead of ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’, hoo-rah!

I’m using Windows 8.1

You guys rock. Thanks so much for replying with your steps. This definitely clears things up.

@heringsfilet you just need to quit using Project > Quit instead of the X. When you click the X, it is actually just closing that project. You can have multiple projects open at a time, so that lets you close some while leaving others open. Note that you can use ALT+F4 to quit instead of the Project menu if that’s faster.

@NeilMerton The reason that both projects open for you in step 7 is that you quit the entire app. You have the opposite problem of Frederik above. :slight_smile: If you want to close just ‘New Balsamiq Project 1’, either use the X, or Project > Close Project, and that will close just the active project. That’s what you’re doing in Step 8, and why it works properly from there on out.

Hopefully this helps clear things up a bit. Thanks again for your help in figuring this out!

ALT + F4 won’t work but using the menu will do the job.
Not as smooth as I’m used to regarding balsamiq but it works :smile:

No worries, it’s been fun!