Red subscription banner keeps coming back

I work in a corporate team account and we have a subscription that still has another 10-11 months left to go. The reason being finance prefers to manually renew subscriptions. This therefore means that I am constantly bombarded with this red banner throughout the day, and no matter how many times I dismiss it, it just comes back.
I think this feature would benefit from some logic that would only show it when a subscription is nearing its end, say a few weeks out or similar. Otherwise the dismiss action needs to be more permanent. Currently everyone in my organization is presented with this throughout every day and this is likely the case for the next 10 months?

Cheers,
Danny

I should note this appears in both the cloud and desktop versions.

Hi @Danny_Peters!

Ah, yes. I can understand how this is not a very pleasant experience! From what I can see, this behavior should only be present when using the Desktop app (connected to your Balsamiq Cloud account).

You should not see the same behavior when accessing Cloud via any browser. That would be the quickest way to “fix” this and eliminate the banner. Let me know if that’s not the case!

The bigger story here is that we have plans to detach Cloud from Desktop. This means that soon, you will no longer be able to access your Cloud projects via the Desktop app.

We started having conversations about the future of desktop apps, including ours, and what we envision for the future. The decision to remove this option as a small first step came about after we realized that only 1% of Cloud users connect to Desktop.

With that said, I would love to hear more about your preference (and your colleagues) for the Desktop app. Your feedback will help us make the web Cloud experience more robust. Feel free to drop your thoughts here or reach out directly to sales@balsamiq.com.

1 Like

You can “add me to the list” along with Danny. My experience is not quite so bad (no red banner), but I do get the message in Settings (“Your subscription has been cancelled, but hasn’t yet expired”).
Pretty much the exact same reason: corporate account, and the corporate legal weasels insisted that we had to purchase our annual subscription through a reseller. And then corporate billing insisted that was a one-shot deal, so the reseller took their money and bailed, leaving us with a Balsamiq account tied to the name of some reseller that appears to have abandoned the account.
I realize I’m really venting without offering a solution: from Balsamiq’s perspective this account is in an awkward state. But I did have a mild heart attack the first time I saw “your subscription has been cancelled”.
Val can tell you all about our almost-one-year journey just to get the subscription in the first place – if there’s anything “corporate” is good at, it is taking something simple and straightforward and complicating it in ways mere mortals cannot imagine.

1 Like

Sorry you are correct, this doesn’t appear in the web version, I somehow got that mixed up :+1:
Sad to hear the desktop access will be winding down; I do thoroughly enjoy having the focus and distraction-free experience of a dedicated app. This is the same approach I employ for my use of Figma. While I know it functions 95% in the same way in a browser I really prefer not having my main work apps lost in all the other work tabs I have open, or being tied to Chrome itself when I want to quickly CMD+tab between apps etc.

One of the other reasons I like to use Figma in desktop for example (noting I am not nearly as proficient in Bals yet) is the keyboard bindings. I often find when an app is locked inside a browser tab there are limitations to how extensive the keybindings and especially modifier key commands can work.

Another simple reason is my Chrome window is not fullscreen width, because the web rarely makes sense at full screen on a 32" monitor, but I always want my designing apps to give me as much working canvas space as possible. Sure I can split out the tabs to achieve this but it doesn’t make switching between things quickly just a bit harder each time.

I wonder if you have looked at a chrome web wrapper (unsure of the exact name), where in chrome there’s an icon in the address bar to pop this particular app out into its own wrapper. I use this extensively for Google Meet for example, which allows it to have its own CMD+tab space, its own window sizing, its own keyboard bindings and is not beholden to all the other tabs or tab groups that I have open in Chrome itself.

I hope some of that info sheds some light into the benefits, but I can understand that with such a small percentage of users it may not be worth the time (unless the chrome app solution is cheap to engineer).

:wave:

Everybody loves the corporate/finance dance :smile: !

So true. But in my case they even tossed the lawyers in first.

@Danny_Peters Not a problem at all! And thank you so much for sharing your feedback with me. This will be helpful to keep in mind, as we will be looking for options similar to what you described. I can’t make any promises just yet, but know that it’s on our radar!

@Steven_Swinkels You’re right. What you’re describing is a tiny bit different, but I would love to hear your suggestions for improvements in that particular scenario. It seems pretty typical for billing periods that are paid in advance, but if you have some ideas on how to make it less scary, please don’t hesitate to let me know!

As a side note, resellers (normally assigned as Billing-Only Admins to your Space) will not be very active. Their tasks are usually seasonal, they only log in when it’s time to make plan changes, card changes, renew, etc. If you’d like to discuss your account directly, feel free to email us at sales@balsamiq.com. Val, Kendra, or I will be happy to help out.

… As a side note, resellers (normally assigned as Billing-Only Admins to your Space) will not be very active. Their tasks are usually seasonal, they only log in when it’s time to make plan changes, card changes, renew, etc.

In our particular case, our contact at the reseller was far less than “very active”. As soon as the account was secured and they got paid, he left the account entirely. My first clue that something was odd was monitoring activity and seeing the following:

1. “Mystery Guest” joined the Space
  2. (next day) “Mystery Guest” subscribed to Balsamiq Cloud 200 Projects (Yearly Plan).
  3. …immediately followed by “Mystery Guest” cancelled the subscription

With no additional context, I’m then looking at a subscription that is literally two days old and already cancelled. So I checked the Settings on the Space, and sure enough the first thing I’m greeted with is “Your subscription has been cancelled…”. “Scary” might not be the best adjective, but “befuddled” certainly would be. Even at this point I have no way of knowing the status of this account. It is “cancelled but active?” Not a combination I would normally expect to see. For me, something more like “your current subscription will expire on ________”. “Cancelled” has more significant implications, IMO.

Thanks for the additional info @Steven_Swinkels

Without assuming too much, it does seem to me that your experience might have been exacerbated by fragmented communication between your team and the software reseller.

I’m curious, once the reseller went through the steps of paying for your subscription, what other steps would you expect them to complete? Understanding your expectation here can help us improve things.

Also, when you say “Mystery Guest”, do you mean there was no name/email attached, or you didn’t recognize the name? As a Space Owner, you decide who to invite and when. Is it possible that your co-Owner invited the reseller without your knowledge? If you’d like, I’d be happy to sit with you and/or the Second Space Owner to analyze the Space history if something seems amiss.

At this point, your Space Settings should show you that the status of the subscription is indeed Active, but it will also indicate that your subscription ends on a particular date in the future (because it’s not set up to renew automatically). Are you seeing something different? Happy to troubleshoot if that is the case.

Without assuming too much, it does seem to me that your experience might have been exacerbated by fragmented communication between your team and the software reseller.

Without a doubt. I’m more of a “secondary” Space Owner, as I don’t interface directly with the $$$ folks.

I’m curious, once the reseller went through the steps of paying for your subscription, what other steps would you expect them to complete? Understanding your expectation here can help us improve things.

Nothing - I fully expected them to set things up and be done with it. It’s more about what I did not expect: a statement saying that our subscription had been cancelled - that word has both immediate and final connotations.

Also, when you say “Mystery Guest”, do you mean there was no name/email attached, or you didn’t recognize the name? As a Space Owner, you decide who to invite and when. Is it possible that your co-Owner invited the reseller without your knowledge? If you’d like, I’d be happy to sit with you and/or the Second Space Owner to analyze the Space history if something seems amiss.

Clearly the primary Space Owner did the invite. It was a name with which I was completely unfamiliar, which set off the alarm bells in the first place.

At this point, your Space Settings should show you that the status of the subscription is indeed Active, but it will also indicate that your subscription ends on a particular date in the future (because it’s not set up to renew automatically).

And here I think we come to my perspective/reaction. If I’m in possession of a subscription that is both (1) “active” and (2) set to expire on a certain future date, then the use of the term “cancelled” makes no sense to me. “Cancelled” would imply (1) “inactive” and (2) “immediately”. If my Amazon Prime or Disney Plus subscription gets “cancelled”, it is certainly not active, nor expiring at some point in the future – it is done and gone right now.

My suggestion is a slight re-wording from “your subscription has been cancelled” to “your subscription is set to expire on _________”.

Thanks so much for the excellent walkthrough @Steven_Swinkels!

For the last point, I think we’re now talking about the subject line of the email and the content. I appreciate the suggestions, I’m taking note of them!