Renaming .bmpr file outside of Balsamiq Mockup causes error message to flash on lower right of page on close

Balsamiq_Mockups_3.999.246

Renaming .bmpr file outside of Balsamiq Mockup causes error message to flash on lower right of page on close.

TO REPRODUCE

1. Launch Balsamiq Mockups and save a test.bmpr file
  2. in Finder (Mac OS X), rename the file to text-01.bmpr
  3. Launch Balsamiq, you should get a “blank” page
  4. Close the blank page, you should see an error message flash in the lower right of the “blank” page (for a fraction of a second) when the “blank” page is closing. The error message appears for so short of a time, there is no time to read it.

EXPECTATION

1. Display error message long enough for user to read it, OR remove error message, OR display error message when user attempts to open the file INSTEAD of when the user closes the “blank” file.

Hi Michael! Thanks for letting us know about this. I just tested in the released version (3.0.3), and didn’t see the error message pop up. Could you give it a try? http://balsamiq.com/download Thanks!

Aha. It only happens when there is a SYMBOL in the file. Here are the slightly modified instructions.

TO REPRODUCE

1. Launch Balsamiq Mockups, create a SYMBOL object, and save a test.bmpr file
  2. in Finder (Mac OS X), rename the file to text-01.bmpr
  3. Launch Balsamiq, you should get a “blank” page
  4. Close the blank page, you should see an error message flash in the lower right of the “blank” page (for a fraction of a second) when the “blank” page is closing. The error message appears for so short of a time, there is no time to read it.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this further. I’m still not seeing the issue. I’m assuming that there is a step in between 1. and 2. to quit Balsamiq. When I omitted this and renamed the file in Finder while it was still open, I got this message:

Maybe you’re seeing something like that?

In step 4, when you close the blank page, are you quitting Balsamiq, or just closing that empty new project? I’ve tried both and still can’t reproduce what you’re seeing. Hopefully it’s just a little glitch that will go away. Or maybe it’s just gremlins in your machine. Either way, I wish for you a flashing-error-message-free Balsamiq experience as soon as possible!